Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dr. has suggested that I go Gluten Free for a month. I have a chronic illness and it seems to be getting worse.<br><br>
But now I don't know what to eat.<br><br>
Any sugggestions?<br><br>
Anything I should look out for on packakages?<br><br>
Any info is so appreciated.<br><br>
Thanks, I'm at a lose and my tummy wants food.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Go read gluten-free girls blog. She is celiac and has a lot of wonderful ideas.<br><br>
Obviously, stay away from wheat, spelt, kamut, barley, most oats (there is debate about this one, mostly is cross contaminated), rye. These all contain gulten.<br><br>
Anything that says natural flavors you should stay away from.<br><br>
Anything with malto dextren (sp?) or malt in it, stay away from.<br><br>
Many nuts, chips, dried fruit are dusted with wheat to stop clumping and does not have to be put on the label as a ingredient.<br><br>
Oils that have been used to fry wheat or other gluten grains and can contaminate (sp?) gluten-free foods.<br><br>
You did not say if you were vegan or not, so stay away from any of the blue cheeses (the mold is from bread).<br><br>
No beer.<br><br>
What can you eat: rice, corn, beans, sorguhm, millet, amaranth, polenta, teff, quinoa, vegetables, fruit, nuts (that are not contaminated).<br><br>
Bob's Red Mill has a large selection of gluten free grains and flours. The gluten free flour mix can be used in many recipes that call for flour.<br><br>
My husband is soy and gluten free at this point. Soy came first and because it was an extreme allergy, the gluten was fairly easy. We eat home, carry snacks. I use very few pre-processed foods due to allergies and taste.<br><br>
I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions you wish. I know I am missing things.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
A good site for gluten-free and vegan:<br><a href="http://www.foodallergysurvivalguide.com/" target="_blank">http://www.foodallergysurvivalguide.com/</a>

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Try looking at a food co-op or natural food store. I found our local ones were very helpful in showing me which products my daughter could eat (a gluten-free vegan due to allergies). There are gluten-free breads and she loves the rice pasta.<br><br>
Also try an oriental food store as they have many rice noodles as well.<br><br>
She eats noodles and lots of fresh fruits and veggies.<br><br>
There are some new frozen veggies that come in a bag that steams them. They are heavenly. They taste like they are fresh and a big improvement from canned. Tons of variety too.<br><br>
Don't forget beans! They are a great source of protein and come in a variety too. We tend to use canned because they cook up faster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts