Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi folks,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My son has a ezcema like rash on his bum and after seeing different professionals, we landed with a naturopath who did sensitivity testing.  Not surprisingly, he was sensitive to gluten, some dairy and legumes.  We're doing an experiment with an elimination diet and it has helped.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here's my question - can you have a gluten sensitivity without having celiac disease?  I know there is a test (endomysial antibody) that can test for celiac but our naturopath warned that it will probably come back negative and she has seen many kids who have done better off of gluten.  My concern is wanting to know if my son actually has celiac or if his system is just overloaded right now...with the hope that if it's just overloaded that he can have gluten in moderation or once it's cleared out of his system.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
<p>Lots of people have gluten issues without having celiac.  For us, we showed various improvements but we've got nothing in either my family history or DH's that is suggestive of autoimmune issues or any of the things that often cluster with celiac.  Type 1 diabetes can cluster with celiac, long-term digestive issues in people in the family, regardless of the actual diagnosis, various autoimmune things. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>But at least for us, and I think for quite a few people, gluten is just such a tricky protein that keeping it out is really helpful for healing and for staying healthy.  I still have hope of reintroducing it, or at least being able to share in, say, pizza or something out with a group of people very occasionally, but I haven't tried it yet.  We've been gluten and dairy free for over 3 years now and it does get a lot easier over time. </p>

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thanks, tanyalynn.  This is helpful.  It makes sense to me.  I tend to think that anything in excess is going to overload the system if it is a tricky kind of food like gluten.  It's just been difficult and my 4yo is already pretty picky about food and I hate the thought of contributing to food issues.  So far, going off of stuff really cleared up his skin.  He's had a little bread and I've seen no major flare up or issue.  I'm hopeful that in moderation, it will be fine.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts