Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday my toddler ate his first GF bread. That was his first day totally GF. The next day he woke up with massive MASSIVE diarrhea. It sort-of normalized by the end of the day, and was normalish this morning, but around noon today he had mucousy diarrhea -- not much, but definitely very watery/mucousy. His poop since eating the bread is also much lighter -- sort of yellowish.<br><br>
At first I assumed it was something in the bread -- xanthan gum looked likely -- but then I realized he's had little bits of xanthan gum here and there and had no reaction anything like two days of weird poop. I would have thought if he were severely sensitive to it, I'd've seen something. But I've just realized that the fruit smoothies he's been drinking this past week have coconut yogurt in, which are thickened with xanthan and guar gum. And his poops have all been solid and non-acidic (they usually would be acidic, with that much fruit) WHILE eating the yogurt/xanthan.<br><br>
Could this be gluten withdrawal already? Or do you think he's still reacting to something in the bread? Nothing else seems to be bothering him, it's just this very weird poop.<br><br>
(Or it could just be because the day before this started I was noticing how his starting on probiotics seemed to be allowing him to digest fruit better .. urgh.)<br><br>
EDIT: Even when his poop was solider (since the bread) it was sort of .. gelatinous? Which is part of what made me think the xanthan. This is just priceless because today we pulled a deer tick off him (wasn't there last night) so now any weirdness he exhibits I'll be attributing to possible Lyme ..

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Are you keeping a food journal (everything he eats, drinks, including supps) and all symptoms (poop, sleep, skin, mood, etc.)? It's an invaluable tool when eliminating any foods. What else did he eat that day? It could be a virus too, right?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would say it is yeast die off, but I am no expert. We went gfcfsf months ago and my dd1 is only just now starting to poop daily. It used to be 3-4 days between them. For her, the gluten was backing her up. I have heard it takes up to 6 months for gluten to leave the system. I would be most likely to attribute it to a reaction to the supps or probiotic, and or yeast die off. this site has info about everything, go to home (after reading this page) and click site index to find your way around easiest.<br><br><a href="http://www.danasview.net/yeast.htm" target="_blank">http://www.danasview.net/yeast.htm</a>

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He didn't have anything else weird that day. I suppose it could be a virus, but he's showing no other symptoms -- his energy & appetite are great, etc. It's weird. All of us felt a little weird digestionwise after eating that bread, but we also all had watermelon, which had been open in the fridge for a few days and might have been a little off. *shrug*<br><br>
I'm sort of keeping a food diary in my head. I should probably start putting it down on paper or in a file, I guess. I've been trialing new foods in one by one so I can hopefully keep track of reactions. Going to try a GF bread from scratch with no xanthan gum and see if he reacts to that. So annoying as he <i>loved</i> that bread. Sigh.<br><br>
Yeast dieoff is an interesting idea. I was on an anti-yeast diet for a while last year and he's eating plenty of things I couldn't have, though -- fruit, honey, sucanat in his pancakes .. Could it be yeast dieoff if he's still having all those yeast-friendly foods?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts