Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I always learn through brainstorming, discussion and research... I wanted to discuss some things because for the first time in 9 years, I am on the fence about tetanus (my kids have had ZERO vaccines thus far).

I have 2 boys-- 1 hates to get dirty (I think it is my fault for being crazy 1st time mom)... I don't worry about him (injury wise) as much as my other boy (4 yrs old).. with him, watch out-- he jumps from his bunk bed, hangs upside down on the monkey bars, always covered in dirt, already broke an arm, etc... HE makes me grow gray hair...

When we had kids, we became informed about each disease and “treatments”. I'm confident in our immune system and nutrition to make it through measles, mumps, whooping cough, etc... The one I was never sure about was tetanus (I know it is not spread person to person but we have a shot for it). If you ever look up the info about it, it can really make you paranoid... yes, there are few cases but man, if you are that case-- yikes.. it is not as “easy” of a disease as some others and the fatality rate is rather high... http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/tetanus.pdf

Do you worry about it? Since there are few cases, does that give you peace instead? Are you only scared of really deep puncture wounds? There have been cases in splinters, simple cuts etc... why? Simple cuts bleed.. I never had a splinter bleed though.. do you think it is linked to a lack of nutrition? Lack of wound care?

What would make you seek TIG? For the life of me, I can't find much info on actual reactions to it like we can for vaccines.

Apparently the UK stops tetanus doses after you've had a total of 5 doses (last dose before age 18)- they say it lasts a lifetime even with injuries (unless super dirty)? Hmm? Why does the US recommend a booster every 10 years or a shot every time you get hurt/stung/bit and go to the ER?
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/tetanus-immunisation

Obviously with the invention of cars, there is less exposure to manure and the like so cases would naturally decrease.. we have less farms around here at least.. the bacteria is claimed to be found “everywhere” so why are there less cases? Natural immunity? What am I missing?

BTW: I did review info on Dr. Tenpenny's sit and Dr. Humphries video...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Great questions! Subbing so I can follow the thread. I don't have any answers . . . I live on a farm (tho no cows or horses here . . . but neighbors have them). I stay on top of all wounds, especially those on feet. Not just for tetanus, but because one of my kiddos is allergic to 2 different classes of antibiotics and I want to save the use of them something really really bad - not simple wounds that could be dealt with using herbal support and good hygiene.

Curious to hear what others have to say.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
There are a few things to consider here. It's been a while since I've done my research but I'll share for you what swayed me.

First is that you will have to vax for DTaP (outside the US you may still be able to find DT). The D - Ditheria (I forget the spelling) is serious but extremely rare in the US and started declining before the vax. aP stand for acellular pertussis and it has been known to be a reactive vax and not very effective. If you look at CDC outbreaks the people who get it are usually vaxed. Immunity is thought to wane very quickly. They had to change to an acellular preparation due to reactions on the former whole-cell vax. It's linked to sids and other side effects you can read in the package insert.

Now for tetanus, the bacteria can grow only in conditions where there is no oxygen. This is typically associated with puncture wounds. For most common scratches and cuts, if you have concerns you can use hydrogen peroxide which cleans and provides oxygen.

If you do come down with something that you are suspicious could cause tetanus and you can't use basic first aid, there is something called TIG which is the immuniglobin (sp?). It is made from blood products but contains antibodies to tetanus. Even if you are vaxed and the medical staff suspect serious chance of tetanus they would administer TIG anyway.

Often times they will offer a DTaP vax. This is really more of a preventative for the next time as it take about 2 weeks for antibodies to form from a vax. It won't do anything for the existing wound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts