Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In honor of the big scary ole' ice storm we're getting, I planned ahead (GASP! SHOCK!) and we will be waking up to nice warm crockpots, one full of warm custard and the other steel cut oats w/honey. I also managed to get the coffee maker full and scheduled to run first thing in the morning.

YUM!

Now I can't wait till breakfast!

Anyone else have 'overnight crock pot' breakfast ideas? This was AWESOMELY easy!

Bellevuemama

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I have a crockpot full of steel cut oats right now too! Did you add the honey in now? I've been doing this every other evening and the kids are LOVING the new oatmeal so much more than the instant stuff. It's so yummy! And yes I'd love to know about crockpot custard!

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
What size crockpot are you mamas using? I've only got one size, and it seems a bit big for making up oatmeal in. Mind you, I've only got quick oats, anyway...but I do like the idea of an instant, wholesome, hot breakfast right now!

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to confess that I don't even know if crockpot custard exists in real life!!! I was brainstorming something protein-y to go with breakfast and it popped into my head. It's eggy, so there's protein, and I get so tired of scrambled danged eggs every morning, so it's got to be better than nothing. So...here is what I did, and I'll let everyone know in the morning how it turned out! Oh just FYI I don't measure a whole lot...LOLOL

2 cups whole milk
2 cups water
9 eggs (cause that looked good...no particular reason)
heavy pinch salt
handful of sugar (I dunno, a third cup maybe? Prob a little less than that, I don't do tons of sugar)
Heavy drizzle of honey (prob about 2 Tbsp?)
a good drizzle of vanilla (maybe 2 tsp?)

Beat the living daylights (technically speaking) out of the mixture in a bowl. Grease crockpot (I used a small 2qt one) thoroughly. Put mixture into crock and set on low, leave overnight and hope it works (I'll let ya know LOL). I was going to grate some nutmeg into it, but I want to see what the consistency looks like in the AM without any spices, I'll add those later. But if it works well I'll do that next time before I start it for the night.

OH! And I just devoured that 365 crock pot site, she's AWESOME! I love that she's willing to say what works...and what really was awful. Thanks SO MUCH!

Any more bfast cpot ideas?

*sigh*
Still can't wait till morning! LOLOL
:
Bellevuemama

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
What size crockpot are you mamas using? I've only got one size, and it seems a bit big for making up oatmeal in. Mind you, I've only got quick oats, anyway...but I do like the idea of an instant, wholesome, hot breakfast right now!
I have two 2-quart small ones, a 5 quart big one, and a 7 quart massive one. The small ones are REALLY cheap, I think 5 bucks each on sale, and the two big ones I got on sale at different times for about 20 bucks a piece. I'm good about making the obvious stuff with them (stew, chili, dips, soup) but I forget about all the other versatile meals that can be made. So, I'm trying to branch out a bit!

I surely loves me crock pots!

Bellevuemama

ETA: I am making the oats and the custard in the small 2qt ones

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristyH View Post
I have a crockpot full of steel cut oats right now too! Did you add the honey in now? I've been doing this every other evening and the kids are LOVING the new oatmeal so much more than the instant stuff. It's so yummy!
Yeah I think I'll do this more regularly now that it's clicked how easy it is! I hate instant oatmeal packets, too sugary and always leaves me feeling jittery. Oh, and I add the honey now, it seems to sweeten it more thoroughly and they are less likely to smother it in honey/syrup/brown sugar/molasses/whatever in the morning. Although less likely doesn't rule it out entirely LOLOL

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellevuemama View Post
I have two 2-quart small ones, a 5 quart big one, and a 7 quart massive one. The small ones are REALLY cheap, I think 5 bucks each on sale, and the two big ones I got on sale at different times for about 20 bucks a piece. I'm good about making the obvious stuff with them (stew, chili, dips, soup) but I forget about all the other versatile meals that can be made. So, I'm trying to branch out a bit!

I surely loves me crock pots!

Bellevuemama

ETA: I am making the oats and the custard in the small 2qt ones

I've only got one - think it's a 5 quart. I like it for some things, but have never become a real serious crockpot user. The idea of having a hot breakfast waiting for everyone sounds good, though - plus, it might get my teenager eating a little better in the mornings.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!
:

The custard is PERFECT and the oats are DELISH! Wow that was easy, and a great way to wake up on a cold and blustery morning!

I think I'll play around w/sweeteners a little for the custard, I don't want to add a ton of sugar (ok well I WANT to, but ya know...) so I might up the honey a little. Definitely will be making it with the nutmeg (maybe some cinnamon?) in the mix next time. This made a perfect 2qt crock full. That was genuinely one of the easiest things I've ever made!

Off to eat....YUM!
Bellevuemama

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by traceface View Post
you *are* awesome. Tell us more about the warm custard in a crockpot.

Do you know about this website? She has some breakfast crockpot recipes
I was inspired by bellevuemama's industriousness, and put on the breakfast risotto from your link - delicious! I ran out of risotto, so subbed short-grain brown for half of it. I should have added a little extra liquid - I've got some very baked-on rice on the bottom of the crock - but it was very yummy. Even DH came in and had a bowl when he got done plowing the drive, and he normally is not one for hot cereal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.