Mothering Forum banner

Go Vogue

1K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  Marsupialmom 
#1 ·
On page 292 of the current issue of Vogue magazine, there's a picture of a model nursing her toddler son.

the article, which is about teeth whitening- nothing to do with nursing....

The fact that Vogue considers nursing to be commonplace enough to not be "distracting," in a picture meant to illustrate something else seems like incredible progress to me. And again, it's not just nursing, it's nursing a toddler.

I am sure it's there more for shock value as nursing has nothing to do with teeth whitening but it's still there nonetheless...I expect they'll get lots of notes about how awful it is....

http://s2.supload.com/free/angelal_v...8062.jpg/view/

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alana
I was happy when I saw that this morning, as I was reading the teeth article. What I find funny is that the model is wearing gold teeth. At any rate, Im going to write Vogue and thank them.
Yeah, the gold teeth and blank stare struck me too but I was more eyeing that toddler anyways.

Was wondering if it were staged, if it was the models child and he/she wanted nummies and the photographer said ok and just snapped.....

Here's an email for Vogue for comments and suggestions.

talkingback@vogue.com

#9 ·
If we're thin, caucasian, and have unmarked perky breasts that is.
:

Not that this wasn't a step in the right direction, of course. It's just that, for once, I'd like to see an image of a more average mother nursing. Instead all I ever see are the stereotypical 'perfect' women and bosoms with babies attached to them (big thumbs up to Vogue for publicizing the reality that toddlers nurse too though!).

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjuniverse
:

Not that this wasn't a step in the right direction, of course. It's just that, for once, I'd like to see an image of a more average mother nursing. Instead all I ever see are the stereotypical 'perfect' women and bosoms with babies attached to them (big thumbs up to Vogue for publicizing the reality that toddlers nurse too though!).
Okay this is vogue - there are NO pictures of average women in there!
:

#16 ·
And hey, is that a tiny bit of areola I see? teeheehee

Remember that Annie Liebovitz photo of Jerry Hall breastfeeding? I can't find it online - its in Liebovitz' book "Women". I love that photo. Hall is tricked out in YSL and looks ready for a photo session with Helmut Newton, yet she is serenely bfing her child. Over the top too.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjuniverse
:

Baby-steps folks, its all about taking baby-steps...

#24 ·
I sent them this note:

Quote:
Dear Sir or Madam:

I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated and enjoyed the lovely photo of the breastfeeding toddler and mom in the teeth whitening ad on page 292. It is nice to see a magazine recognize the beauty and naturalness of a mother nursing her child without shame or reservation. Kuddos to you and your ad department!!
I do agree that she isn't the "average" bfing mom, I think it's awesome that they are including the ad in a generally mainstream and - I'll go ahead and say it - fairly materialistic magazine. And besides, models kids deserve to be breastfed, too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.