Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all have seen this thread a ton of times, I have no doubt.

But the fall semester starts in September, and I really want to finish school in this lifetime-- not to mention that staying home day after day is driving me a little out of my gourd... it's just not the life for me right now.

I went part time this past semester, one class via correspondence, and an evening class, and that worked out really nicely for pregnancy/newborn phase.

Anyone go back to school with a six month old? How did daycare work out? I have a rented hospital-grade pump... did anyone pump for a baby between classes?

Any tips, experiences, horror stories, etc, will be appreciated.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hi,
I got pg in the first year of a 2 year, highly structured, master's program, had ds 2 weeks after spring finals and went back to finish my second year that August (ds was 13 weeks). I pumped during breaks and ds was in daycare while I was in school plus some additional time to give me time to study (24-32 hours/week). I also have an incredibly supportive dh who had baby duty frequently. I don't have any horror stories to tell you. I did it, I'm not superwoman. It was easier when ds was a few months old, than when he was closer to 1 year old, and it was a helluva lot easier than when I was pg. (I got my first set of straight As for this last semester, yay!) My tips are to make sure you build in study time to whatever care arrangement you have. You will be exhausted if you only study when the kids are sleeping. And make friends with the department admins, they are usually closer to your age and/or life experiences than to the other students and they can be your saviors. My department admin found me an unused office to pump in every day for six months. She was a huge help. As for the pump, I used a Medela PIS during the first 6 months, but stopped pumping at school when ds was six months old (I was only at school for half days). If you can get away with it, try the Avent Isis, it is much more convenient to carry with you, and if you are only pumping at school once a day, you probably won't need a big electric pump, IME.

Good luck, it can be done. Don't forget the mama mantra, this too shall pass...

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
I waited for my youngest to be in school but I started parttime last year and am going fulltime this year (I've also taken cleps so after the next two cleps I'll be a sophomore
)

No advice for pumping but I'm sure you could find a nice little off the beaten path niche for that (you could even ask to use a friendly prof's office space for privacy.)

DB

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I started grad school when my older dd was 4 months old & my younger dd was born my last semester. My dh was working 1000 miles away at the time, so I was basically a single parent. I took 3 classes/semester for the most part & 1 or 2 every summer & got done in 2 years. My classes only met once/week for three hours each, so I was going to school from 6-9pm three days/week.

I didn't need to pump while I was at school, but I did pump some at home so that I had milk to leave with the sitter. For the most part, I left my older dd with a woman who did home daycare while I was in class. By the time that dd #2 came along, I had a friend who watched my older dd while I was in class & I brought Tessa (my younger one) with me to class for a few months. I took one week off from school when Tessa was born & then went back when she was almost 2 weeks old with her in a carrier. I just nursed with one arm & wrote with the other when needed. I was blessed b/c she was pretty well behaved in class - didn't cry, etc. I started leaving her with my friend, too, when she was 2-3 months old. I definately would not have brought a six month old with me though - too vocal & mobile :LOL !

I pretty much wrote papers in the middle of the night & didn't get a lot of sleep. I wouldn't want to do it again, but I did make it work pretty well at the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My experience was a little different. I went back to finish my Master's when my baby was 5 months old. I also worked FT and quit pumping at work right around that time. I found a program that was completely available through distance learning. I really don't know if I could have done it along with a FT job, otherwise. Going to school will of course be a FT job, but is so worth it. I got my Bachelor's degree while my oldest was 3-7. It was very difficult, but again, so worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts