Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now i'm a sahm of 2 and this fall i am going back to school to finish my degree (which should take 3 semesters). i am so used to being a sahm and while i want to finish my degree i am really nervous about balancing being a mother and doing school. i did it with my son, since he was a baby, but not really with both of them. with my son, i found it so easy to balance everything. but now with 2 there is so much more. and i love being with them, though i am itching for something more right now. with my degree it's either now or never (well, now or something else later) because we will move out of state in a couple of years, and i am so close to finishing in this program that i want to do it. so that's why i'm going back now. but it's hard for me to be excited about school again--writing papers, going to class, studying--i used to love it--my gpa is high and all that--and i really enjoyed it. then. i guess it's not about enjoying it though, it's about finishing....

anyone btdt? i could use some encouragment. thanks for listening.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Congratulations on going back to school and finishing!!!

I went back to work the first time when my kids were 3 & 6. My daughter was in school all day and my 3 year old hung out with me. Luckily for me, he was not high needs. He could play for hours by himself. I got alot done. But i had to be disciplined, no doubt about it.

First, relax about housework, if thats a concern. schoolwork comes before housework. To me, there is nothing in the house, other than my kids and husband that comes before my schooling. Dust bunnies can wait. you have the rest of your life to clean.

Make time every day for one on one with the kids. For us, we lived in Florida and we lived right across the street from the pool. daily we swam, if only for a little while.

I learned to rely heavily on my Crockpot.

And of course, coffee. Espresso for me, was a must.

I am now back in school and i have three kids, not two. my youngest is 7, the older two will be 18 & 15 this summer. And even living in Colorado, we swim daily. I do school work in the morning and any simple chores that need to be done. Then after lunch we go to the pool and swim. Then dinner, and i relax. I have it down to a science so that i have time for everyone.

I do feel like i am being pulled in 10 different directions, and many of my days i feel like i am a squirrel crossing a six lane highway. But i will be done with school the first week in September.

You can do this!!!

Lisa

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I started back when dd was 3 1/2 and ds ws 1 1/2 (fall 03)- we hadn't planned on ds2 and I found I was pg w/him 1/2 way through my first semester back. That made things challenging, but with just the 2 kids, it was really not too bad. My only advice is to NOT procrastinate. I would set myself up at the kitchen table to read/study. I'd end up reading for 15-20 minutes, then have to help the kids with something, then go back and forth. I would start homework right after I got home from class and hopefully get it done before the next class. I started w/12 hrs the first 2 semesters and it was really managable b/c 3 of my classes were once a week classes and the last one was a tues/thurs computer class that was SUPER easy. I really liked the once a week classes as I thought it was easier to manage my time.

Congrats on going back, I graduate next may!! I'm so excited.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I am currently in school and so is dh. I quit when I had dd, but started again two yrs ago. Had my ds, only had to take one class off and went back when he was 7 weeks. I go to class on thurs nites and dh goes on monday nites. so it all works out. we both go to school fulltime thru an accelerated program at a universtiy here. Good luck, you can do it!!!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey--just wanted to say thanks for the stories and encouragement. i was talking to a good friend today who is also a mama and in school and we have similar goals, although different degrees...kind of reminded me why i'm doing this! so good to have other moms to talk to, irl and online.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
I was a SAHM for 25 years and finally went back to school part time last year (when Julianna was going into K.) I studied when she was in school (I went M-W-F and had T and T to study and do mommie things like dentist appts and shopping.)

This year (oh, I'm getting weak in the knees) I'm going fulltime (little girl is in 1st grade) and I have M-W-F classes and Thursday is lab day. I'm a bit meschgah and have scheduled Bio and Chem at the same time along with their labs, oy.

I plan to study a lot. When they're in school but I have five at home. Two in high school, one in middle school, and two in elementary school. The household will be set up for studying. We have two good 'puters, cable modem, dh's 'puter in a pinch, the housework, what housework, oh, those dust bunnies that look like large rodents.

Oh well, the house won't mind.

I'm focusing on the children's needs and everyone's pitching in with cooking and wash.

Did I mention that weak sensation in the knees at the thought?

Debra Baker

1 - 6 of 6 Posts