Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>So we need a new ped.  Do i call first and ask if they are going to be no-vax friendly or just go and say this is how it is?   </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My insinct is to just go and say "we don't vax" and leave it at that, but I'm not up for fighting if they push it.  (meaning it would suck to be put in that positin, not that I'd cave to the pressure)</p>

·
Registered
958 Posts
<p>I would ask first on the phone since I would not want to pay for a visit in which I am simply shunned and pushed out the door.  </p>

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
<p>I called ahead of time because I didn't want to waste my time and theirs if they were not accepting non vaxing families.</p>

·
Registered
595 Posts
<p>How did it go if u don't mind me asking? we're fixing to have to start tomorrow. good luck and i hope you find a great doctor!</p>

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
<p>Can you make an appointment to meet with the peds?  In the practice we were looking at, there were 3 docs... I met with all 3, they didn't all have the same outlook on vaxes.  One of them told me flat out that, while she would accept DS as a patient, she would view it as her professional responsibility to give me a lecture each time I brought him in for a WBV.  The second doc I met with said that he would be okay with us delaying or not vaxing, but that he did recommend them according to schedule and he would not help us come up with an alternative schedule if that was the route we wanted to take.  The third doc simply said that he would be willing to work with us to provide the best care possible for DS.  Guess which one we went with?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Even with what our ped said, the nurses would always ask us when we were getting the initial stuff (weight, temp, basic run down of why we were there) what shots we would be getting.  The last time they asked they said, "is he up to date on his shots?"  To which I replied, "we have an exemption on file with the state."  They didn't ask any more after that.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess my point is that even within a practice there can be varying degrees of non-vax friendliness/unfriendliness.  I guess I would start by asking the lady on the phone if they accept non-vaxing patients.  And after that, I would ask if you can set up an interview with each doctor in the practice (separately) so that you can decide which doctor will be the best fit for your child.</p>

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
<p>Why go to a ped?  You're more likely to get resistance over the vaccine issue from a ped.  Look into family practice doctors instead.  We've never seen a ped for anything, just our family practice doc.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Jenn</p>

·
Registered
489 Posts
<p>I would go and get a feel for the doc... there may be a reason you love/hate him/her anyway... when vax comes up, casually say, "Oh, we have decided not to vaccinate." Be prepared with a very succint but thorough reason why. if it's pressed you can say "I really have done a lot of research, and I'm very solid in where we stand. Will this be an issue for us?"</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If it's an issue you can decide to try another office. But I feel like once you and your child/children are there and there's a face and you are obviously a resonable person, the liklihood that you'll be kicked out is less.</p>

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
<p>I went to a ped with my newborn son.I did not ask before hand,BUT some told me he was accepting.When vaxes came up I just we currently do not vaccinate.Now the kids got once a year and he always forgets,so I just say again that we currenty are not vaccinating. I think the young doctor I go to for bp meds would flip and lecture me if I took my kids to him. Our ped is old and I will miss him when he retires. He was the only person to approve of my homebirths, and not nagging about vaccines or circumsion was a plus.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sometimes the doctor is good but the staff can be nasty with you.Our previous ped staff was like that,so we switch to the current one.</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts