Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm taking
: now....I decided not to take any childbirth classes with my first ( I was working full time in NYC and there was just no time). With this one (due around end of June yikes that's now!) I had no time either, we had a bunch of house projects to finish and the hospital is a little out of the way, and I have been plagued by insane lethargy and sloth!

I wound up being induced with my first born, my ctx fizzled out (I was 41.5 weeks pg), AND the deciding factor (esp. for the hospital and doctor) was the blizzard coming through the Northeast (Feb 2003). So the drip was started and I was given an epi that really didn't take. Only the left side of my body was numb and I could feel my ctx. They were horrid but nothing I feel I couldn't have borne.

After the NOVEL..on to my questions:

For those of you that have had a med free childbirth
  • Did you take any coping classes (ala Bradley or Lamaaze?) If you did, did they help you?
  • If you didn't take any classes, do you feel like you would/could have benefited from taking those?
  • Have any of you attempted to go epi free even with the Pitocin Drip?
I'd really love to have a totally med free experience if I can. I figure my mom did it without classes and such and I should be able to...just looking for some reassurance is all!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi.

I went med-free with no classes. Oh, and I was induced using pitocin. I think classes, especially bradley, probably would have helped. I basically just tried to imagine every contraction bringing the baby closer to delivery, that the pain was good...not sure how well it worked! LOL! But, we got through it.

There are probably some web sites that offer suggestions. If you don't have time for class, maybe try to read up on some of those or maybe you can get a bradly or natural childbirth video from the library.

I wanted to take classes for this birth, but ultimately, I don't think I will. I'll probably just do some more research in the internet.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
425 Posts
We did the "regular" birthing classes at the birthing center. And by "regular" I mean they just said - here's what will happen, here's what could happen and here's a tour of the center. They didn't get into techniques of birthing, nor many things to try. We did have one night where the instructor said that steady breathing could be helpful and had our DP count our breaths in a 30 second period to see if we were breathing slowly or too fast. I used to do yoga, so I did deep breathing...and only had a few breaths in that 30 second period. She had us do it 1 more time and everyone slowed down to focus on our bodies and that was it!

All that said, I had an unmedicated birth. I didn't necessarily plan it (my birth plan said that I didn't want medication unless labor was prolonged, not progressing, baby was in stress etc). At 36 weeks I was 2cm dilated and doing well. At 38 weeks weeks my water broke, my first contraction hit and another hit 1.5 minutes later. When we walked into the birth center I was 7cm and couldn't have had anything at that time anyway. DD was born 3.5 hours after my water broke/contractions started.

I have no idea what will happen this time around (last time was back labor, so if this baby is positioned correctly she could just "fly out" as my OB put it!) or I could be at 42 weeks and nothing going. I'm planning on another med-free labor.

What helped during the back labor last time was focusing on slowing my breaths; DH putting counterpressure on my back during contractions; once I got onto the bed (right before pushing) delivering on my left side; and doing whatever felt good at the time during labor (walking, showering, squatting etc). I basically looked at each contraction separately and didn't worry about the next one. Of course, I didn't have to endure days of labor either, so take this with the spirit in which it's said!

I honestly think our bodies are made to deliver a baby. I think my body took over and did what it needed to do and I needed to basically sit back and let it (meaning not fight it). Since I was able to do that I had a wonderful birth experience.

Michelle

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Uh, I'm hoping to take notes as well on whatever responses you get to the no-classes yet natural birth question, 'cos that's what we're hoping for at home as well. I'm also hiring a doula though, so that's part of what we're hiring for - some tricks and ideas that I probably wouldn't remember anyhow in the moment.

I did attempt epidural-free for 18 hours on pitocin, and then I went for the epidural, and she was born 4 hours later. It was sheer hell w/o the epidural BUT I was also confined to the bed due to other issues (blood pressure) and I was on mag sulfate. The ctx are awful if confined on your back/left side, and the labor doesn't progress very well either. I have seen people who have made it all the way through, but I think they were probably up and walking around, and not on mag sulfate. I shoulda gotten the epidural much earlier, because the pain and stress was unbelievable...but it was the one element I could control in a situation where I did not have much control at all.

·
Registered
768 Posts
i agree with pp, our bodies are designed to give birth. if you allow your body to do what it is meant to do, (and maybe do a little reading up on the "technical" aspect of the process, it will be easier for you (imo) to allow your body to do what it meant to do.

we did take bradley classes for our first. it was worth it. but the things that we really used from it were the exercises during labor and recognizing the stages of labor. i did get to a point where i didn't think i could go on, and dh reminded me that was the last stage, to feel like that, and sure enough ds was out!
i think even if you could get a hold of the book and read up on your own, it could be helpful.

good luck.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
One of my best friends irl had 6 pitocin inductions (did not go into labor by 41.5 weeks ever) and has had 0 epidurals. Another friend had her first induced w/ an epi, 2 natural births in the hospital, no induction, no drugs, and 1 UC (at home obviously). She never took any classes, either.

I took Bradley, which I highly recommend.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
nak
1. No
2. No
3. Never had pitocin.

I had an epi with my first.
No drugs with number two, and all my "coping" was based on yoga breathing techniques and relaxation strategies (I've practiced about 7 years). So, I will recommend a good yoga class!

Also, I read a TON of books on natural childbirth.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Well, this is my first baby, but I wanted to say I'm taking a birth class and haven't learned anything yet that I didn't already know (only one class left). It's taught by an L&D nurse, but through my (mother-friendly) OB's office, so has somewhat of a focus on natural childbirth, etc. (although I think the nurse's methods are outdated). Anyway, I've read tons of books and lots on the internet, and like I said, haven't learned anything new in the class.

Also, we hired a doula, and are counting on her to guide us if we start feeling lost or overwhelmed.

Hope all goes well!

Shana
EDD 7/29/05

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I had a wonderful med free birth and never took a class. The number one thing was I stayed home- there were no drugs available, so that part was easy. I knew my body was doing what it was supposed to do and I was much less fearful being at home where no one was there to scare me. At the hospital with my first the nurses were able to bully me into gettting an epidural by telling me the baby would die if I didn't. Nothing like a little fear to motivate you. I am planning my third birth, at home, drug free, and won't betaking any classes this time either. I'm not sure how a class would benefit me. My body just has to do what it's got to do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You could just read the Bradley book, too. A local LLL groups might have a copy, or the library and of course Amazon. I thought it was helpful. Yes, your body will do what it needs to do, but for me, being informed means less fear, i.e. often a quicker labor.

Good luck!!! Sending good labor vibes ~~~~~~

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm really interested in going natural, never in my life thought i'd do it any other way. But, now that we know it's twins I also feel like i have to let go a little....there are too many unexpecteds that come up, and i don't want to get myself stressed about the medical interventions that may be beyond our control.

Can someone recommend a Bradley book title? (It had never occurred to me just to read the book; I always thought of people going to classes hahaha)

I don't know how to find childbirth classes here, and I feel like I can't depend on the place where we're giving birth caring about the fact that i want a natural birth. So I'm going to focus more on talking with DH, getting him on board with my concerns and wishes...I'm hoping he can advocate for us and be reasonable and not too weak in front of the doctors.

My mom is a Lamaze instructor and she's visiting in August. I thought of asking her for a little crash course, but would that be weird? My mom teaching DH and me about childbirth?? Hmmmm.....

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
nak

1st birth - homebirth

1. No
2. No
3. Never had pitocin.

I was able to breathe through it all, but I had also read lots of books on natural childbirth.

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by krishnasakhi

• Did you take any coping classes (ala Bradley or Lamaaze?) If you did, did they help you?
  • If you didn't take any classes, do you feel like you would/could have benefited from taking those?
I'd really love to have a totally med free experience if I can. I figure my mom did it without classes and such and I should be able to...just looking for some reassurance is all!!
I didn't take any classes, and I don't regret it for 2 seconds. I don't care for the "panic" breathing style of Lamaze and a Bradley class was not available in my area. I did have a "doula" who had had all 7 of her babies at home (she and her husband were holistic doctors.) I simply took my time breathing and if I got at all paniced, she would look me in the eye, hold my hand, and slow me down. She would also "breathe" with me. I highly reccomend a getting doula. I owe my sanity to her. Not once did I moan or yell or say much of anything, and I attribute my ability to remain calm with her.

I had a very difficult back labor and I was given something to speed labor, but for the life of me I have no idea what it was. I did have an IV for antibiotics because of a heart condition I have, and I do recall the medication was administered through the IV, so odds are it was picotin. I labored for well over 24 hours total, but 16 hours of it was the hard labor and 45 minutes of pushing. I was NOT allowed to get up or move in anyway (high BP 210/117 at peak) so I had to lay flat on my back the entire labor (very yucky, try to avoid that if you can- get up, move around, get on all fours, do whatever you can to releive the pain.) At one point, my labor was not progressing, my water hadn't broke, and this was dangerous because of my pree, so they broke my water (nearly 8cm,) and said they were going to give me something to encourage it, but I was so out of it I had no clue what it was. The labor pain got really hard to cope with after that, but at things came on faster (I would guess another 1-2 hours before pushing began.)

I did register for an epidural just in case, but I didn't do it. I have to be totally honest with you, if this next labor of mine is as nasty as my last, I may get the epidural. Hopefully, it won't be.

Please keep in mind, everyone labors differently. You labor may not be as painful as you expect, or it could be 10 times worse. My girlfriend had a baby in a grand total of 2 hours with pushing and she said the pain was so minimal that it was like severe period cramps. If the pain becomes unbearable and you simply cannot take it anymore, don't feel weak or like a failure if you opt for pain relief. Giving birth isn't about being a martyr.

I wish you the best of luck and hope everything goes really well.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
s and welcome!

Quote:

- no, and
- no, and
- not applicable

sorry, i'm probably not much help.

i would say the things that helped most, in the way of preparation, were...
* positive visualization of the birth i wanted
* meditation, with ^ that
* reading everything i could get my hands, particularly Prenatal Yoga & Natural Birth by Jeanning Parvati Baker
* talking to other mamas who had done it
* practicing yoga and walking every day beforehand to warm my body up

and the things that helped most during labor were...
* moving / motion ~ with my first, i danced a lot and walked as much as possible, with my second i sat in a bath and rocked back and forth with the contractions
* chanting / praying / singing
* music
* meditating
* warm / hot water!!
* when the going got tough, the tough got my partner

·
Registered
616 Posts
I took Bradley, had an unmedicated childbirth, and my DH and I both read Husband-Coached Childbirth.
There's also a Bradley workbook that went along with our classes that you could probably find. We might take some refresher classes this time, and we'll go over the workbook again.

·
Registered
459 Posts
No classes - completely non-medical labor & delivery - hoping for the very same experience this time around.
If time had allowed, we would have taken the Bradley class.

I read EVERYTHING I could get my hands on - particularly, "Husband-Coached Childbirth", and The Bradley book.

Getting into a jacuzzi was a huge help to my body. (shower made me feel queasy) I also tried every single position I had ever read about or thought up...just to see what felt good and right to my body. I was very, very directive and clear with my DH about what touches felt good/not-so-good.

I waited a long time to go to the birthing center in the first place...since it was my first full term delivery, I figured I would over-estimate how far into labor I was....that helped make my time at the center before my DS's arrival only 5 hours.

Definitely positive talking myself. When it felt very challenging, or I started to doubt (in transition) instead of complaining about the pain, I mantra'd to myself -"I can do this; I can do this" and "This too shall pass".

Our bodies know what to do. Listen to your body. Doubts creep in, so prepare your partner BEFORE LABOR on how to help you work through those nagging doubts or fears that may come up. In the moment, it is so hard to think clearly and make meaningful decisions.

READ, READ, READ....kegals and stretching...don't worry too much about breathing techniques...you have been breathing your entire life!

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Hello. I took Bradley classes and loved them. I had a Pit. drip, (
kindof a long story) but other wise no meds. It was hard, and I do not think I could have had an otherwise natural birth without the knowledge and coping skills Bradley gave me.

Sarah

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

After the NOVEL..on to my questions:

Wonderful homebirth:
no classes
didn't miss them
was at home so I couldn't have pit

I strongly suggest homebirth. Had I been in a hospital I would have at least had pit. Probably a section. At home I was allowed to birth at my own rate without a schedule.

-Angela

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
No childbirth classes here for either of my pregnancies. For my first birth I did have pitocin and I was able to stay med free and have a natural vaginal birth. No epi either time. I know that classes wouldn't have helped me at all as I seemed to be very prepared.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.