Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My toddler is 17 months, two weeks old and nurses once a day, first thing in the morning. I am going on an unavoidable trip and he will be staying with my husband and older children. I've read here that you can take a break like that and still have some milk if you've been nursing two years. Do you think I'll have milk to offer when I come back?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. I'll be gone for 3 days and my guy is 15 months. He nurses all night and a couple times during the day but has been away from me before. Do i need to pump? Or would some quick hand expressing a couple times a day be enough?

·
Registered
237 Posts
My best friend was away from her daughter for about that long (when she was 18 months) and had no trouble picking up where they left off when she got back.

As far as needing to pump, heidilynne, I'd just go with how you feel, if you're starting to get engorged, pump, but do some hand expressing here and there and see if that's enough.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
This was my experience:

When my dd2 was 16 mos old, and still nursing on demand, I went on a trip with my mom and was gone six days. My dd was drinking milk at the time in addition to nursing during the day - we had stopped night nursing months prior. We coslept ( and still do
) but did not nurse at night.

I hand expressed while away on our trip. The first day or so was some what uncomfortable but I would just express for relief. I took HOT showers and expressed lots then too.

When I came back she was able to nurse right away and we had no problems.

She stayed with my dear friend and neighbor (and her four kids!) while I was gone and was just fine.

Not to worry. All will be fine.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I am pleased that I can give him that little immune boost (and have good snuggles) each morning, and want to continue it for a few more months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.