Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I are taking our first vacation away from Marah Jade. We are going to be in Las Vegas for 4 days and I am not sure what to do for MIL in case she has to take Marah Jade to the doctor. Chances are if she does have to take her it will be urgent. I was going to leave DD's medical card but am I supposed to leave a letter or anything as well? I don't want my MIL to have authority to make certain decisions about Marah Jade although I understand in an emergency you gotta do what you gotta do. My biggest concern is if she gets hurt they may want to give DD a tetnus shot which I do not consent to. Would she have authority to authorize everthing or would the doctors just take over? SHould I leave a copy of my exemption with her just in case?

·
Registered
439 Posts
It might be overkill, but you could obtain a limited power of attorney stating what she is authorized to approve and specifically state that she is not authorized to approve vaccinations and you do not consent to vaccinations. Make sure if you do this the POA has an expiration date or that it is specifically stated that it is only active when DC is in her care and you or DH are not available to make medical decisions.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Ugh I never even thought of that. I'm leaving DD with my mom for two days in a couple months for a business trip. As if I wasnt' upset enough about having to do that....

Thanks so much for posting this.
Now I can do something proactively, just in case, rather than deal with the fall out if something DOES happen.

Looking forward to more responses

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I have a letter on file at my drs office that my mother may seek care for him, but also lists the things we do not approve of. If you trust your MIL (and I am assuming you do) express your feelings to her. Some parents write out a medical consent form when they leave town like this for example:

I, Mommy Smith, give Grandma Smith permission to seek medical help for Baby Smith should the need arise. I do not consent to any immunizations being given for religious reasons.

(signed) Mommy Smith 7/25/2005
cell phone/hotel number (555) 555-5555

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lml41981
It might be overkill, but you could obtain a limited power of attorney stating what she is authorized to approve and specifically state that she is not authorized to approve vaccinations and you do not consent to vaccinations. Make sure if you do this the POA has an expiration date or that it is specifically stated that it is only active when DC is in her care and you or DH are not available to make medical decisions.
I should have asked this earlier...we leave in three days which I don't think is enough for POA.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
All you need for power of attorney is a notarized statement, so you don't need any specific amount of time - as long as the banks are open, you can get a statement notarized.

You don't need that, though. Just do like the PP said - write up a statement that you authorize your mother to seek care in an emergency, but that care specifically excludes vaccines.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newcastlemama
I, Mommy Smith, give Grandma Smith permission to seek medical help for Baby Smith should the need arise. I do not consent to any immunizations being given for religious reasons.

(signed) Mommy Smith 7/25/2005
cell phone/hotel number (555) 555-5555

This is what we did. Just made it clear that we were to be contacted to make any medical decisions ~ then specifically listed anything that would "normally" be done that we didn't want done ~ even noted a poor reaction to previous vax (figured that would make a doc think twice!) .

Fortunately, it never had to be used. Not sure how a note would "hold up" if a doc pulled the "life or death" card...
:

You might try at least getting it notorized...
:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Make sure that you specifically exclude vaccinations for any reason. Otherwise the hospital may "interpret" it as meaning routine vaccinations and not for an "emergency" like tetanus vax for a cut. I think a better option is to have a heart to heart with the MIL and ask her to please stand her ground for the no-vaxing.

Signing an emergency room "consent to treatment" form includes all normal standard of care, including tetanus vaxes.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I made a note as well when DS went camping with my parents. Granted, they agree with me about vaccinations so they wouldnt let him receive any anyways. Just in case though, I added that no vaccinations be given under any circumstance.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHeather
Make sure that you specifically exclude vaccinations for any reason. Otherwise the hospital may "interpret" it as meaning routine vaccinations and not for an "emergency" like tetanus vax for a cut. I think a better option is to have a heart to heart with the MIL and ask her to please stand her ground for the no-vaxing.

Signing an emergency room "consent to treatment" form includes all normal standard of care, including tetanus vaxes.
My MIL is really good at respecting decisions and I anticipate talking to her about it. I am just thinking about the pressure of the moment KWIM?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyttlewon
My MIL is really good at respecting decisions and I anticipate talking to her about it. I am just thinking about the pressure of the moment KWIM?
You could just tell her that if the situation presented itself and she was being pressured to get the vax, she can just put it off on you and say something like, "My grandchild's parents are extremely opposed to vaccination and since this is not a matter of immediate life and death, you will need to discuss it with them when they get back." I'm sure if she is prepared with something like that, it will be fine and take the pressure off of her.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
When we left my younger one with my parents last summer for a few days, I made originals for:

1. Diaper bag
2. Glove box (all vehicles)
3. Fridge
4. Grandma's purse
5. Grandpa's wallet
6. One of my siblngs just in case - my sister

Make sure you also write down baby's weight and give them your health insurance information (preferably an insurance card).

·
Registered
8,558 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
I actually work in a ER and in order to see a child we have to have a notarized letter from the parent or have verbal permission over the phone. Now a few specifics. If there is no letter unless it is a life threatening situation, we cannot treat the child. Also unless there are specifics ex: no vax then the doctor will treat your child with what he/she sees a need for. Most doctors will come in and say " we are going to go ahead and give your child..blah blah blah" and unless you or your MIL say no they will. SO...that being said. I would write a letter stating that your MIL has permission to have your child treated however they are not to be given a vaccination of any kind for any reason. I would also include anything your child may be allergic to or any other meds you don't want your child to have. Just get this notarized and you are all set. Oh yeah, leave your childs insurance info with MIL along with the subscriber DOB and SSN for filing purposes. Good luck and have a great time on your trip...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts