Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Our family is doing a good deal of traveling this summer and we are going to be in Asheville in August. DH is taking a ceramic workshop for a week so I will be with ds #1, soon to be 6 yr old and ds #2, soon to be 1 yr old. I would love love to connect with some AP mamas and possibly have some playmates for 6 yr old ds. Any suggestions for things to do with the kiddos are appreciated!

Also, we are still figuring out where to stay. I don't know exactly how close to downtown I want to be, I am open to any suggestions. Is there a really great campground somewhere close, a cabin or yurt would be great or is downtown filled with great stuff to do that we should stay in a hotel??

Thanks for any help!
Megan

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You'll be fine staying close to Asheville, unless you want the vibe of downtown. There's lots of fun library stuff for kids this Summer, google 'asheville library' and you can view the Summer REading Program stuff. It's a mystery theme this year, so there's storytellers, magicians, puppet shows, treasure hunts, etc.

There's also the city pools - one in West AVL, one in E AVL (by the Nature Center), best to go to both after 4 pm, to avoid the day camp crowd.

Lake Powhattan is great in the Summer! Very cheap, too... $5/carload. The closest campgrounds I know of are at Lake Powhattan. Not sure of the amenities they have - they are run by Forest Service, so it'd just take a few phone calls to get connected with them. If you do want to stay in town, adn want a good dose of the Asheville vibe, consider staying at one of the hostels (one downtown, one in W AVL), the private rooms run about $50.

·
Registered
688 Posts
We just moved to Asheville about 4 months ago. It is really a great town. Lots of fun things to do...good parks...really close to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Where you want to stay really depends on what you want to do. I you want to do a lot of hiking...then camping would be great. There are a lot of great places to camp along the parkway. But if you want to walk around downtown and do stuff more in town then a hotel would probably would be the way to go. Just depends on what kind of trip you and your family want. Also...my son is turning one in July. Would love to meet up and get the kiddos together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks so much for the replies. I guess maybe I could do hotel and cabin split up to have the best of both worlds...

I'd love to meet up too. We are big into hiking, swimming, exploring, art etc! You can email me at [email protected] or I'll PM you, waylonsmama...

Thanks again!
Megan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.