Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WE are going to the DR for xmas this year. There have been malaria concerns for the area we are going. We are going to Breezes for one week. I don't want to take the Malaria meds cause they have really bad side effects. Just wanted to know if anyone had advice. Thanks for any help. Nancy

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Good for you for getting out somewhere for the holidays. There is a newer malaria pill (I think the generic name is Larium, but you may want to do some digging) that does not have the strong halucinagenic side effects that the more common one has. My DH and I used it, no problem. The down side, it costs twice as much (or did at the time we got it) TALK to your DOC.<br><br>
Also, try checking out the web site at Passport Health, they are a health clinic for international travelers and you can look up info by where you are going. Also check the CDC web site. Both have good travel related health info.<br><br>
On the one hand you will be very sheltered at one of those ****** resorts, on the other hand I have many friends who have contracted malaria, and it ain't pretty. So protecting yourself is wise.<br>
Happy Travels!<br><br>
P.S. NOTE: You need to start taking the pills a certain amount of time BEFORE you travel to be effective. So do your homework NOW!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just noticed your post.<br><br>
I've taken Larium on trips to the Philippines, and it had no side effects that I could tell, but it was expensive! Doxycycline is another possibility - I've taken that, too. I had a reaction in that it made my skin more sensitive to sun (thus I got horrible sunburns), but I think that reaction is rare (which is why I didn't figure out it was the doxy for a while). It's not as expensive. You need to check with your doctor because different strains of malaria require respond to different meds.<br><br>
Have a blast!<br><br>
Edited to add:<br>
I messed that up - Larium is the old school, once a week, have funny dreams stuff. Malarone is the new, expensive, no side effects one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts