Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">Does anyone know how safe and/or effective this might be?<br><br>
Has anyone here actually tried it before?</span>

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
haven't really heard much about it. i know that goldenseal is an endangered plant, so i never use it.<br><br>
i have never had good luck with herbs for induction. i've tried lots, but never had any luck consistently with one.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I know of a few midwives who have used it. It does work but it takes therapeutic levels like you were treating an acute infection. As Pam said it is endangered, and I don't recommend its use. As unpleasant as it may seem to some people probably one of the oldest plant medicines still in use castor oil will usually work, and is safe. If it doesn't work it will usually clean out the colon and for many pregnant women this is a relief. With all the newer testing we now know that not only does it work as an indirect irritant to but also it works through elevating prostaglandins. Even if you don't start labor it will have prepared the body a bit more by raising the prostaglandin levels. This is also how goldenseal would work it is a mucous membrane irritant-but unlike castor oil it can also have an effect on the placental bed partly because it is a very strong astringent, and partly because it is absorbed systemically, where as most of the bits of castor oil are "local" irritants and don't absorb as much systemically.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I didn't know castor oil was safe, actually.<br><br>
And I didn't know goldenseal was endangered. We have the goldenseal - garlic - echinacea pills, that we use when we're getting sick. That's what I was wondering about -- I figured the goldenseal in it might do something.</span>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts