Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>i had an appointment with a midwife from the hospital today (they have their own mw's and dr.s, it is separate from the prenatal care,) and it was really-really nice. i still think that america has the better system in having your own practitioner at the birth, but i think that they have a great idea too- to have an appointment to write out a birth plan with the hospital itself. the mw we met with was a tiny little happy and energetic woman, she wrote down all of our wishes for the birth, but they are so hands off  and do, without question, so many of the things that one would have to fight for (or against) in america, that the list ended up being small and our questions made us look like very worried parents. before we left, she said "now, think positive thoughts! you don't have any reason to have a c/s! just keep telling yourself that!"</p>
<p> </p>
<p>i think that it was hard for her to imagine how hard we have to fight for things in america. the mw's offer pain relief things like changing position or getting in the tub or acupuncture, but if you want medicine, you have to ask for it- and it seems like it would be a little un-normal. so the things that she "warned" us of were not interventions, but that they have a maternity-ward ban on pacifiers and that we might not be able to get the giant family room if it is already taken.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>the only thing that i don't like is that they do fetal monitoring every couple of hours and then again at the very end, and that if you come in with your water broken, you have to stay- though they don't have such a serious policy about inducing, just monitoring.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>but, overall, it started to make me feel really excited for the birth! my first was a c/s in a dreadful hospital. and with my second, all of the rooms were full (of woman being induced,) so i labored in the hallway and gave birth with a lot of chaos in the operating room. today, they had two women in labor and the whole place was as still and peaceful as you could imagine.....i hope that i can finally have a birth experience like that!</p>

·
Registered
951 Posts
<p>mcs-- how exciting! i'm excited for you birth now...and looking forward to seeing how it goes! it sounds like a really supportive place!!! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>ashley</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts