Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My five year old daughter wants to see a baby being born. I've shown her pictures, but it's not the same. What's a good video for her to watch that won't scare her? The only one I can think of is that one that PBS periodically airs that shows conception to birth. Can't think of the name, but it's pretty good.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I like the dvd that comes with the book Gentle Birth Choices. It does show the births very clearly and some of the moms make a noise or two but it doesn't seem scary. The joy of birth is very evident as well as the hard work. My three year old has seen it and loves it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The Russian Waterbirth video (forgetting the name of it) is beautiful and shows a few births, very peaceful, both in pools and in the ocean. My dd loved it at age 20 months.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Are you planning a home or hospital birth? My recs are all homebirths so I guess you could still show them but you'll have to explain that it won't be quite like that. Anyway, I think a really good one to show kids is Birth Day, another is I Watched my Brother Being Born, and my favorite is Psalm & Zoya: The Unassisted Homebirth of our Twins. The first 2 videos are good family-event births, but I like the last one the best b/c it's a great example of noises your child might hear - you can explain during it about those noises and how it's okay and will help the mommy get the baby out, etc. Also, I love how she mothers her toddler between contrax. It's an excellent example of a woman just giving birth, unencumbered. I feel it helped me tremendously in prepping both my 5 & 2 yo's for the birth of my twins (not that you need to be having twins
). They both watched my babies births and were not scared at all - just excited.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
My daughter LOVED the video of Psalm and Zoya. She asked me to replay it many times a day.
It was easy to watch because not only were the events well directed in editing, but it was only a twenty minute sit - easy to do for a toddler!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by littleteapot
My daughter LOVED the video of Psalm and Zoya. She asked me to replay it many times a day.
It was easy to watch because not only were the events well directed in editing, but it was only a twenty minute sit - easy to do for a toddler!
Second this ... my toddlers love it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
We just let our DD (4.5) watch the videos of our local homebirth group mamas. She got to see that they made noises and were in different positions. After each birth she walked up to the mama who's video had just been show and said "I KNEW you could do it!"

Deb

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should clarify that I am not pregnant. My daughter is just very curious about giving birth, and she wants to see it happen.

Love_h, are all those videos waterbirths? Can you actually see the baby coming out if the camera is above water or do they go below the water? Actually, now that I think about it, I think I'd rather show them a non-water video. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Quote:

:
And, I don't think it matters weither or not you're planning (or would plan, or are in favore of) a homebirth, it's much simpler, making less distration for a little one to watch. I show homebirth videos in my CE class, eventhough none of the mamas are planning homebirth. I think it's best to see birth happen naturally - all that other stuff isn't birth, it's just extras.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
hmm.... it's hard for me (personally) to answer this because when my son was around 3 and i was pregnant with his little sister, he used to watch birth videos with me. any and all i could find!
lots of water births... unassisted home births... and all of the photos in Jeannine Parvati Baker's books and Ina May Gaskin's guide to childbirth.

the videos listed in this thread seem like excellent resources. (is there a sticky around here somewhere we can copy those to?)

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by julie128
Love_h, are all those videos waterbirths? Can you actually see the baby coming out if the camera is above water or do they go below the water? Actually, now that I think about it, I think I'd rather show them a non-water video. Thanks.
No, just the Birth Day video is a waterbirth. In the "I Watched my Brother..." video I believe the mom is on her bed - this particular video emphasises the role that children can play in birth (one of her kids brings her a banana to eat during labor - things like that). In the Psalm & Zoya video the mom is in the bathroom sitting on her knees on the floor. That one you can see the babies pretty well being born. Another video I love for watching the actual moments of birth is Noa Was Born (that one is only $4 if you order from the mw who attended the birth). It *is* a waterbirth but I felt like you could really see the baby's emergence - almost as though it was in slow motion (the rotation of the shoulders and all - no hands were on the baby so you could see real well). If you want some real close-up footage of the actual birth itself, a wonderful film is Birth in the Squatting Position). It's done to music (so no sounds from mom are heard) and it's a bunch of women in a Brazillian hospital giving birth on this special bed designed for birth in the squatting position. They all give birth squatting and the babies all just kinda fall right out - no one assists. It's really a beautiful video. It's put out by the Bradley Method people. Check out this article by Mothering about recommended birth videos - both of these last 2 videos are listed there, including info on how to purchase the Noa video. HTH!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Quote:
Us too! And she wanted to show it to everyone that came over to our house while we had it. When she would show it to someone (like my mom) she would even preview "Next comes the foot!"

Dd really just watched all of them with me. I think as long as you are there to explain what is going on she will do great and learn lots. That is cool that she is interested!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Quote:

Yep! My then 4 yo ds loved it, too and watched it several times.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I want to second the Gentle birth choices video. My toddler loves it.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nan'sMom
The Russian Waterbirth video (forgetting the name of it) is beautiful and shows a few births, very peaceful, both in pools and in the ocean. My dd loved it at age 20 months.
Birth Into Being is the Russian waterbirth video that I have and my kids love it. It is sweet and gentle and it shows young siblings at many of the births. I love it too
Mine are 4.5 and 3 and it's wonderful for both of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts