Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want more heroines in my books for DD. I have read her Wolves in the Walls so far and that has a heroine in it. But i want more then one. Right now she is really into Charlie and Lola books <very cool if you have not seen them before, I enjoy them as much as she does> and Curious George. Any other ideas? Good female hero books wanted...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You want books with female protagonists, or female HEROES? For the former, I can think of lots of others. For heroic girls:

Outside Over There (it's kind of freaky, though!)
Brave Margaret, Robert San Souci
Bridget and the Gray Wolves, Pija Lindenbaum
Miss Rumphius, Barbara Cooney (well, she's a hero in a quiet way)
The Paper Bag Princess, by Robert Munsch
Beauty and the Beast (there's a gorgeous version by Jan Brett)
The Paper Princess and the Paper Princess Finds Her Way, Elisa Kleven
The Pirate Girl and The Princess Knight, by Cornelia Funke

Books about girls, not necessarily grand heroism:
Corduroy -- OK, not super-heroic, but the girl is the one who finds and appreciates Corduroy, and your daughter is the perfect age for this beautiful story. Also, Russell Hoban's Frances books and Bemelman's Madeleine are great for three-year-olds and feature spunky female protagonists. I also recommend Peter Sis' Madlenka and Madlenka's Dog. And Stellaluna was a big favorite with my daughter.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Oh, some more!

Strega Nona, Tomie dePaola
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything, Linda Williams
the Funny Little Woman, Arlene Mosel
The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses, Paul Goble
Frog Girl, Paul Owen Lewis
Baba Yaga and Vasilisa the Brave, Marianne Heyer (this one's scary!)
There's Something in My Attic, Mercer Mayer

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Here are some with strong (though perhaps not exactly heroic) female characters:
Floss by Kim Lewis (about a female border collie)
Maggie and the Pirate by Ezra Jack Keats
The Maggie B. by Irene Haas
The Princess in the Kitchen Garden by Annemie and Margriet Heymans
Lavinia Bat by Russell Hoban (a female bat and her daughter)
Howling Hill by Will Hobbs (a female wolf cub)
the Magic Schoolbus books

I'm fond of Eloise, too, though she's no heroine.

·
Banned
843 Posts
I say she instead of he for almost every character in the books we are reading because we have a hard time finding books with girl characters that aren't falling in love with boys. I like the Dora books a lot because they have some counting, sequencing, and mystery solving. It is a tv character but dd and I have loved them since long before we rented the dvd. The Strega Nona series is also a great one as mentioned by a pp. If you don't mind Strawberry Shortcake the story lines about community can be good though the poses and the clothes are less than ideal.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Subbing...

We enjoy Dora books around here too- My DD doesn't even know she has a tv show and or movies...hehehe

She also likes Madeline books... she says "pooh pooh" to tigers in the zoo or something like that... One question, does she live in a boarding school?...
:

Thanks for all the great suggestions.... we'd love to expand here!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Honestly, I always thought she was an orphan too, until I read the Christmas book, where the magic carpets take them all home to visit their families on christmas morning. I'm all "Whoa! These kids have PARENTS?"

And yet, Eloise makes me kind of sad, and Madeleine just charms the pants off me. Maybe because Miss Clavel is such an excellent parent substitute in the world of the stories.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
Honestly, I always thought she was an orphan too, until I read the Christmas book, where the magic carpets take them all home to visit their families on christmas morning. I'm all "Whoa! These kids have PARENTS?"
I thought she was an orphan till I read this thread
: I always liked the books though!

When she gets older (I can't seem to think of any appropriate 3-year-old books... sorry) I recommend:

Caddie Woodlawn by C.R. Brink
I second Island of the Blue Dolphins

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Just from the top of my head...

OH! The Francine books - I really enjoyed them when I was younger. My baby sister really liked them too... though I don't really remember much about them... they're good for 3-4 year olds.

love and peace.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.