Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, today was my first day back to work/school. DD is 2 months old. She has never taken to a bottle. We were trying Nuk nipples, she didn't care for those. So, we are now trying the playtex nurser system with the wider nipples, shaped more like a mother's breast (I suppose.) Anyway, the daycare worker told me she is used to sucking harder than she needs to with this bottle and the nipple is collapsing. Any suggestions? I just spent a bit of money switching to this system. Is Avent better? Do the Avent nipples work with the Playtex bottles?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Well we use the glass bottles from Evenflo, with the silicone nipples, because we're going plastic free. These are the smaller nipples, and dd didn't care for them at first. Took maybe 2 days to adjust. I think she was around 2 months when we started with them. She likes them just fine now though and has never had any nipple confusion. You can order them online or buy them at Burlington Coat Factory's Baby Depot.

Before we started those we used a couple different kinds. Playtex Vent Aire drop ins, Avent, and the Gerber ones with the larger nipples. DH really liked the Playtex ones, but I just didn't care for them. The Gerber ones were OK, and she used them the most. My only complaint was that the nipples sometimes collapsed. Not a major issue though, just pull the nipple out of the mouth, let the air out, and it's fixed. We had 1 Avent and it was my favorite, but we had a hard time finding them around here. I do not think the nipples are interchangable for most kinds. Imagine they make them that way on purpose so you have to buy their nipples...

Off Topic:
I got the dipes you mailed out on Friday today -- they're great. Thanks a bunch
. If you're interested in trading for a couple of the things you have left on your TP post I'd be glad to send you the bottles we have to try out. I'll PM you with exactly what I have available.

Holly

·
Registered
40 Posts
We tried everything before finally discovered the Dr. Brown's bottles. Those were the only ones that he was really good with. After a while, he would take an Avent bottle, but he much preferred the Dr. Brown's. He could never get a good grip on the Playtex "breast-like" ones - his lips would slip off.

Manda

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Playtex makes an "orthodontic" nipple that is kind of an odd-looking shape, but is supposed to be close to the shape the human nipple takes on when in the baby's mouth. It is drawn out and then flat on one side. Have you tried those? The flat side should be against the baby's tongue when suckling. These nipples will fit any standard bottle (but not the Avent bottles). Are you using the slowest-flow nipples--they should have a "1" somewhere on the package.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen the breastbottle before. Interesting.
We are using the NaturaLatch™ silicone slow flow nipple. There is also the orthodontic nipple and the natural action nipple. Anyone know if the rubber nipples are less likely to collapse? My older dd hated the rubber nipples and would never take them, but other than that she was not picky at all. As long as it was white and coming out of some sort of nipple she would take it. Dr. Brown's are so expensive. That's the main reason I haven't checked them out. I think we will take another trip to Target tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.