Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good, easy recipes for a family camping? I am struggling to make a shopping list....

·
Registered
752 Posts
We camp a lot and have a stove top. I always make a healthy chilli and or white ckn chilli. I will make it at home 1st put it in a big ziplock and freeze it. Then once we are camping I just pop it in the pot. So much easier.<br><br>
check to see if there is a market near you and get your veggies fresh

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
foil roasted dinners, can be any combination of food<br><br>
meat and potatoes was the childhood standard with mush and carrots<br><br>
salmon steaks are nice, esp. with miso sauce<br><br>
chicken and corn with tomatoes and Mexican spices<br><br>
oops computer time is up<br>
Kathryn

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
We've never taken a stove with us, but we do put a percolator on the fire for coffee or hot water.<br><br>
Barbequed chicken, salmon, steaks, portabello mushrooms (I like to marinate mine in garlic, lemon, a little oil)<br><br>
Anything kebabs (peppers, pineapple, meats, cherry tomatoes, etc. . .)<br><br>
We love to do foil packets of veggies (broccoli, potatoes cut really small, onions, peppers, green beans, squash, garlic), butter or oil, and some wine or water<br><br>
Banana boats (slice banana lengthwise with peel still on, fill slit with mini marshmallows and choc chips; place in foil packet and place on fire until all melty and gooey)<br><br>
I love those <a href="http://www.firepies.com/irons.html" target="_blank">iron pie makers</a> you butter bread and can put anything savory (meats, cheese, etc. . .) or sweet (pie filling, sliced peaches with a small amt of sugar) inside<br><br>
pancakes would be good on the portable stove. . .maybe mix up some pancake mix in a jar and take it with you. . .then just add the egg and milk (or water if you use a mix with powdered milk) and voila pancakes. DH says buckwheat pancakes go great with camping<br><br>
snacks: granola bars, gorp, cereals, crackers<br><br>
We always take a cooler with dry ice. . .it's awesome and keeps stuff cold for days. Just be careful what you put next to the ice, it will freeze. We also try to find a local market (not the one at or near the campground usually) where we can get fresh fruits/veggies and meats. If you aren't going to be close to a place like this. . .the dry ice is great for perishables.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts