Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
We really haven't done anything fancy, just added subtracted multiplied using dice (not division yet).

When my dd1 was just starting out, we were playing dice just using 2 dice and bear counters to do the math. We moved up to 3 dice to make things harder.

But don't limit yourself to just 6 sided dice. You can get the 9,10 and 20 sided dice so you can use bigger numbers. I've seen them at homeschooling stores, though I actually picked up a set from a teacher's garage sale.

Or you can try a fun game called Pass the Pigs which are shaped like pigs and you get different points for how they land. First person to 100 wins. If your child can add double digit numbers let them take score on paper. Otherwise just ask your child to help you add the numbers.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
We do place value with dice!

Two players each have a piece of paper, and draw four lines on it to fill in, representing ones, tens, hundreds and thousands. Then they take turns rolling the dice. You have to choose which space to write the number in. When both players have all 4 spaces filled, they each read out their number, and the highest number wins.

I hope that makes sense...basically it is good practice reading out large numbers, and learning the strategy of using lower numbers for the ones' place and higher numbers for the tens' and thousands' place helps cement how place value functions.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I used to work with a little boy who was all about rushing and speed. He was having trouble learning how to add so we came up with the 100 game. Basically he had one dice and had to roll it and add the numbers until he reached 100, he liked to time himself. Then we added a second dice for double digits and upped the game to 500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.