Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are hoping to travel to Sebago Lake in August & are looking for a decent, not TOO expensive! hotel in the area (Portland is close enough). Anyone have any experience or knowledge? All I can find online are $200+ per night or else have reviews that say they are filthy, etc. We've been looking for weeks & it's driving me nutty
:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any great info for you. I live right in the area and it is prime tourist season here. Any nice hotels are going to be expensive just because they can be. Have you tried some of the smaller motels in the area??

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't know if Brunswick is not in the right direction for you (I know it's not super-far from Portland, it's just outside Freeport), but the Comfort Inn there is really nice and the rates aren't atrocious.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I would just stay in some motel on 302 if I was trying to hang in the Lakes Region. It will save you time and money. Look for lodging in Windham. They must have something. Or check out one of the many gorgeous B&B's in Bridgeton. Or Naples.
You won't find a lot of mainstream (room service ect) options out there. You're in Maine! It's rustic!;-)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, ladies.
lizette: smaller motels are fine, we're just having trouble finding ones that don't have horrible reviews (like hairs all over the bathroom, etc.) but I understand why the hotels are pricey...
n_s: Brunswick is probably a bit further north than we'd prefer to go, but thanks for the lead...
boston: I did check Windham because I know there are some shopping areas there. I don't think they have any accommodations other than lake rentals, from what I can find. We're not exactly looking for room service (!) but I don't really think a B&B would work with our 4 month old twins, plus the 3 year old (unless you know of some uber-kid-friendly B&Bs?).... Do you know of any hotels/motels on 302? That would be perfect. I just can't find any!
Right now we are leaning toward the ExtendedStayAmerica that is located in Scarsborough. Every year we say we're going to book a rental for the following summer, and, well, we never get our butts in gear to do it. Maybe this time we will.

Thanks again

·
Registered
959 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilovelife
boston: I did check Windham because I know there are some shopping areas there. I don't think they have any accommodations other than lake rentals, from what I can find. We're not exactly looking for room service (!) but I don't really think a B&B would work with our 4 month old twins, plus the 3 year old (unless you know of some uber-kid-friendly B&Bs?).... Do you know of any hotels/motels on 302? That would be perfect. I just can't find any!
Oh my goodness. Twin babies and a 3 year old. Yes. I can just imagine the look on the innkeeper's face when you tried to check in. That does explain why you're not going that route! LOL!

I just did a search and saw that there is *nothing* in Windham. Probably all the motels you see on 302 around there are not hip enough to be on the web. I found something called Pleasant Mountain Inn which got 2 diamonds on the AAA rating. It's on 302 in Bridgeton for 70 per night, and looks like a step up from the average motel. There's this one: http://www.innatlonglake.com/ in Naples. Standard rooms are 160. Which isn't bad for the location and the apparent beauty of the place. I'm sorry I don't know much about hotels! I've stayed at some crappy places in North Conway, but that's the extent of my 302 knowledge! Have a good trip whatever you decide to do!

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Check out places around the Jetport. I stayed in the Days Inn in South Portland 4 years ago when I first moved here and was waiting to move into my place. It was clean, decent and conviently located.. There is also a Holiday Inn in So Po and a few other chain places thjat should be pretty decent.

Shay

·
Registered
768 Posts
This is the comfort inn by the mall in s.portland, it would be pretty easy to get to sebago from there since it's right on the highway...

there is also a day's inn right there

and a sheraton

and a super 8 in westbrook which would be even closer to the lake area

good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, we live on 302 in Windham and it the rates are all peaked this month and next, obviously. Here's a site that may be helpful: http://sebagolakeschamber.com/

I'll have to look again and see when it is that you are coming. I am a real estate agent and my office does have a listing in Raymond on the lake they may be willing to rent but I'd have to ask. I'll look at your orignal post or you can email me at [email protected]
Good luck and have a great vacation! Summer here is so nice, I don't want it to end........

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'd second the Comfort inn in S. Portland by the mall.

I was hesitant to recommend too many comfort Inns/quality inns as I used to work for a Choice Hotel franchise (but it was privately owned and I'm not longer there!)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you! So I went to book the room at that ESA place and the rate doubled literally in the middle of my booking (through orbitz)! So we started searching again. Thanks, elocin, for the chamber of commerce link. (And lucky you for enjoying the area year-round) I called them and a lovely woman gave me a lot of great ideas. Now I think we'll be staying at the Maplewood Motel in Casco. The White Pines Inn in Raymond also looked nice, and there IS a family friendly B&B--it's also a working goat farm, just outside of Naples. The Fern Hill Farm. I was really leaning toward that, but dh wants a/c (we had a BAD experience a few years ago with no a/c and the worst heat wave ever...). Anyway, some great info & hopefully this Maplewood place works out well.

Oh, northern sunshine, it's nice to know that you still recommend the Choice Hotels after you worked for them. I knew someone once that worked for Ramada who felt the opposite way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts