Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got my letter from the secu today listing the mandatory doctor visits. that's not the good news, although i feel officially pregnant now that i have that and the cpam paperwork. but with the letter from the secu was a lovely colour glossy leaflet about breastfeeding! and all the benefits! and they had contact numbers on the back, including LLL! i'm wildly impressed. i know, you'd think i wouldn't be but so few women in france breastfeed. i'm delighted.

and there's another leaflet about stopping smoking! i'm in shock. the doctissimo site suggests that pregnant women cut down to five a day
but this leaflet says one should stop completely!

yay! yay! okay, i know it's just a first step, but i'm very happy with my post today.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Excellent

My experience is that the vast majority of women breast feed in France but they stop at about 6 months or so. Not unlike in America. My own (enormous) family breast feeds - every last one of them. Many extend breast feed but not most. One of my cousins had a home birth last year - she co-sleeps, breast feeds, cloth diapers, etc
I find that when I am in France everyone is very supportive wherever we go. Even nursing my toddlers.

Sorry to hijack, mama. I'm glad you are feeling positive!!!

eta- forgot to say that midwives are prevalent in French hospitals too!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Raeinparis,

Congratulations for your pregnancy too !
Hum long term breastfeeding seems completely incongruous to most French women. My own grandmother thinks that I am crazy. She breastfed her own children during 6 months, even though some were allergic to cow milk. But it DOES change slowly.

·
Registered
404 Posts
sorry you are not feeling supported xtranath

It really has to do with the individual, family, and region(?), in my experience. My grandmother breastfed and homebirthed 10 children in France as did all of her neighbors. This was at a time when women in America were being put under general anesthesia and their babies were being pulled out of them. They were also being told breast milk was dirty and bad for their babies

I really think France gets a bad rap and is ahead of America in many ways.

Mamas I don't mean to minimize your experiences at all but just to give a different perspective.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, my grandmother nursed all her kids in the states, and all her daughters nursed and so on. but i don't think this is the norm, i think it's my family.

bf is coming back here, but it's bit by bit. i know of a creche in paris that won't accept ebf, so that's not very supportive for the poor little ones or their nursing mums.

it was suggested that i supplement with formula in clinic -- i didn't of course. i also had a interesting time finding a baby doctor who supported bf, most support mixed feeding. i know a woman who told followed her baby doctor's advice on supplementing and stopped bf around 3 months. she'd really really really wanted to bf but found her milk drying up.

i think france is way ahead of the states in terms of social stuff: workers rights, subsidised health care, fine transport network, all that. but when it comes to birthing babies, i don't think it's as open as the states to different ideas. but i think that can change, as it has in the states.

anyway, the whole point of my original post was to celebrate that change is on the way! it may be a change back -- it is for most of the "developed" world -- but it is a change here.

oh, and my baby doctor is fabulous and recommended exclusive bf for the first six months...he was trained in boston though

p.s. thanks for the good wishes on the pregnancy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feel supported by my close family, my husband , my mother (except for baby signing) , but thank you all the same Maman Musique
, because you're right sometimes, I feel a little bit lonely in the real life (except for the internet where AP or maternage is getting more and more common).

Things change, and they have changed a lot during the last years, between my two kids (4 yo and 9 month old boys). There are lots of great places in Paris now, like the !centre Naissance, la ronde des bébés, WHAMS on the internet, so more or less, the AP "community" is growing and this is great... But during discussions with friends, colleagues, I sometimes find it difficult to share/spread AP ideas...

By the way, last year, when I was pregnant, I did not receive this leaflet, raeinParis, so this must be very recent !

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow that's really fabulous news about the leaflet!! I just moved from France 3 months ago. My 3rd child was born there (at home) and I have been nursing her ever since (26 months now). I was a member of LLL there and I remember rejoicing when we heard that the party line for the Ministere de la Sante was to encourage breastfeeding. I am so glad to hear that it has materialized into a pamphlet handed out to pregnant women. Yoo hoo!!!

From my experience, many (like two thirds) of all French women breastfeed at birth and more than half of them start supplementing between the 8th day and the 3rd month at which time breastfeeding usually grinds to a halt. Nursing excusively for 6 months is rare in the Paris and Grenoble areas where I have lived. Extended nursing is rarer still.

But I truly believe that times are changing and I am so happy to hear about the leaflet! Thanks for sharing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts