Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby is 9 months old. She is on formula becasue I lost breat milk.
I have been reading a lot about imporantce of good oils for the brain developemnt. I understand that fish oil is very good for adults us such as for example cod liver oil. When can I start to give fish oil to my dd? What kind should I get? Maybe I should wait with it until my dd is older?
or maybe there are other oils that I should give her instead?

Any suggestions would be really helpful. I am trying to find as much information about this topic as possible but I have not been very successful.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I'm not sure, but don't some formulas have them as an additive already? It is important for developing babies so I wouldn't wait til she is older. You could mix a few drops of fish oil into her food. Cod liver oil is pretty fishy smelling which bothers me. I get a lemon flavored fish oil (Carlson's brand) but there are lots of brands (Nordic Naturals). It's important to avoid all hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats), too. They take up the space where you want the good fats (omega-3) to be, and they stay in the body much longer than normal fats. Trans fats are in a lot of cracker/cookie type things.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 4evermom.
I have been using formula with DHA and AHA but I have read somewhere that some of this oil can be oxydized (they are there but I am not sure if they are the best quality). Therefore, I really want to give her som fish oil especially now when her brain denvelops but I am not sure if her age is good enough to handle the fish oil?
I am wondering if other parents are giving fish oil to their little one as well.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I can't remember when I started my son on CLO, but I would start at 9 months if I had another. I am not sure about dosage, that's something you might want to do a search for. I use Nordic Naturals orange flavor. The taste isn't bad, it's got a lot of essential fatty acids per teaspoon and is relatively low in Vit D compared to some other brands I used. (You can have too much Vt D, so I saw that as a plus.)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gale, yes Nordic Naturals is really good one (my naturopath recommended it when I was pregnant). This is very good oil - clean and no mercury in it. This oil is third party tested which means that it is what is says. The other thing that worries me that formula has vit D and cod liver oil has it as well so I worry to overdose on it.
How much would you give it to 9 month old - 1/2 tsp would be ok?

Ame, Hemp oil was recommended to me by my friend who was giving it to her son. I was thinking to do it but my husband was opposed. He knows very little about good oils but when I mentioned hemp oil he said "no way - my child will not take it". I think he thinks that she will get high on it
:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
oooh Vickey ...thats my hot button!

If you can... have him read THIS

The pediatrician calls my youngest turbo baby because he had so much hemp before birth that he appears to be about 6 month or more ahead in his gross & fine motor and cognitive skills...being he is the fourth and the first to be this big and this advanced it seems related to the hemp. With that said...none of us has ever gotten high off our hemp
:

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Vicky -- I'm not sure about dosages. If I see something, I'll let you know. But another good source of EFAs is egg yolk from free range hens.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Here's a discussion:

Baby nutrition

Quote:
Around four months is a good time to start offering cod liver oil, which is an excellent source of the omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA (also important for brain develoment) as well as vitamins A and D. Start with a 1/4 teaspoon of high-vitamin cod liver oil or 1/2 teaspoon regular dose cod liver oil, doubling the amount at 8 months.12 Use an eye dropper at first; later baby can take cod liver oil mixed with a little water or fresh orange juice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only other worry that I have is not to overdose on vit D. She is on formula so there is already vit D. Cod liver oil has also vit. d but I think if I would give her some, she should be ok with the vit d.

PS: I love the formum. I am learning so much information.
I have been looking for a long time to get some answers and I am getting them here. Thank so much.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Check out the Vit D dosages of the forumla and the CLO. Like I said, it depends a lot on the actual brand of CLO.

And welcome! I hadn't noticed that you are new to MDC. MDC is a great place. The Health and Healing forum may have some relevant info as well.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Cod liver oil has vit D but other fish oils don't neccessarily. Carlson's (also very pure, tested for contaminants, etc) has cod liver oil with 400iu per teaspoon and fish oil with no vit D. I had decided 1/2 tsp was a good amount when ds was 2, so personally I'd aim for 1/4 tsp if I was giving it to a 9 month old. My mom takes cod liver oil in winter when she gets less sun, and the other fish oil in summer when she gets plenty of vit D from sun exposure (I think the cod liver oil might be cheaper, too).

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I would recommend any cold pressed brand of hemp oil. Really there are only 3 manufacturers and the quality is about the same with all of them. For a 9 month old I would go with 1/4 tsp once a day and if you don't see any adverse effects (most likely would be loose stools) then increase to 1/4 tsp 2 times a day. I would not recommend more than 1 tsp a day for a child under 30 pounds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.