Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm preparing to buy a lot of books at once via amazon.

I thought it would be nice if we would have a thread on great parenting books.

do you know any good books that you wanna tip us???

Books I wanna tip:

* LLL: mothering your nursing toddler
* LLL: Gentle discipline
*Jean Liedloff's: continuum concept
* Deborah jackson: a gift for new mothers
* Sears: fussy baby
* Sears: nighttime parenting
* Pantley: No cry sleep solution

Books I will order now:
* john holt - how children learn / how children fail
* adele faber: how to talk so kids will listen..
* Jan hunt- the natural child
* Sears : discipline book
* mary griffith - unschooling handbook

I'd like to hear some more about these books:
* alfie kohn ; unconditional parenting
* Granju : Attachment parenting
* D. Jackson: letting go as children grow
* Halfmoon: primal mothering in a modern world
* Gareth Lewis: one to One...
* Raising your spirited child

Thanks for your input!

Angela

·
Registered
252 Posts
I loved The Breastfeeding Cafe, which I realize isn't technically a parenting book -- but it's inspiring anyway. Can't remember the author's name, unfortunately. I'm all for the LLL titles and Sears titles. They're the bibles in my house.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
You've got some good ones on your list. I would add Becoming the Parent You Want To Be by Laura Davis and Janis Keyser. Great GD approach and very compassionate and informative all-around.

I also second the PP's rec for Playful Parenting.

Happy reading.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Raising your spirited child was a great book for me. I think it is a good approach even if your child isn't "spirited". It goes through the temperamental traits of you & your child and gives suggestions on how to work with them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Have you looked at the "long awaited gentle discipline book list" thread?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=115037

It's an amazing list of books. Sometimes I go there just to "browse" and see what I might be able to find at my library.

I recently bought Soft Spoken Parenting: 50 Ways not to lose your temper with your kids by H. Wallace Goddard. I've enjoyed reading the short sections. I haven't read it completely, so I'm not sure of my overall stance on it. I really like the title, though. Playful Parenting has a lot of the same ideas, too.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I second all of Mary Sheedy Kurcinka's books
Anything Dr Sears writes...
Also, every parent must read "Protecting the Gift" by Gavin deBecker.

*checks bookshelf*

Also, the series by Louise Bates Ames & Frances Ilg "Your (One) Year Old", while very dated, was a wonderful source of education for me in understanding child development, and seeing that a lot of behavior is "just a stage", that it would pass, and so I could relax about it, if that makes sense! It really is a series where you take what you want and ignore the rest, but it has been very helpful.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Protecting the Gift
Liberated Parents, Liberated Children - and all the subsequent books they wrote!
Siblings without Rivalry
Nighttime Parenting
Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
Adventures in Tandem Nursing
Confident Children
Attachment Parenting
The Secret of Happy Children
Playful Parenting
Birthing from Within

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Connection Parenting by Pam Leo. It's been a HUGE help in our house, in terms of being proactive about discipline, and not focusing on reward/punishment.

I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I also loved "Raising Your Spirited Child". Even if your child is not "spirited" it's a great help.

Another good book, but I haven't finished it, is "How to Negotiate with Kids... even when you think you shouldn't" by Scott Brown.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
great ones on the list so far!
ditto on Protecting the Gift!
Mothering Without a Map-may not be applicable, if you didnt have issues with your own mama like i did-a wonderful and freeing read if you did.
Parenting by fedorshak/barnes & noble
Operating Instructions-Anne Lamott-very cute and funny memoir

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I liked the Holt books a lot. I think I'm in the minority here but I really didn't like "Raising Your Spirited Child". To me it seemed very focused on how to get your spirited child to do things you want them to do (rather than working consensually to find mutually agreeable solutions and supporting your child's individuality, which are more my focus) and I found it almost impossible to read because of that.

I really like Marshall Rosenberg's NonViolent Communication book and there are a few other good ones listed at the Consensual Living website http://www.consensual-living.com/

I liked Unconditional Parenting a lot...I'd say that's a worthwhile read, whereas I'd probably hold off on getting more than one Sears book...information tends to repeat between books, IMO. I have the Sears Baby Book and that has plenty in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.