Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a potty book for DS since he is showing some interest and has even peed in the potty a couple times now (he's 20 months). The only one I saw at Target was kind of dippy. I just wondered if anyone had seen one they really liked. Maybe dippy is just the territory, but I thought I'd ask!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I just picked up a potty book last week for our DD (2 yrs old in 1 week!)- and I agree most of the selection was "dippy" or just plain annoying.

I ended up with "You Can Go to the Potty" by Dr. Bill and Martha Sears. I found it at Barnes and Noble in a section about growing up - though I had to ask where to find it in the kids' section.

I liked it because Dr. Sears (as you probably know) is a proponant of AP and there is an illustration of the mommy breastfeeding. I change a couple words when I read it to DD to make it better fit our familiy's needs. (She hates the little potty but has used the big toilet with a seat added to it a couple times.) So far our DD really likes to read the book - usually a couple times in a row, so it seems pretty engaging for kids.

The other cool thing is the little insets on some pages with information for the "very curious" which just gives some child-friendly explanations for some questions kids ask.

Look for the purple cover and cute illustrations. Please let me know what you think or which other book(s) you might find that you like.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi starflower, I saw this book by Mr. Rogers on Amazon yesterday and I liked that it had real pictures, so I checked it out from my library. DS, who has never sat through a whole book before, was fascinated by it. We sat in a chair and read it three times, then went into the bathroom and looked at it more while he sat on his potty. I don't know if the fascination was with the pictures of real people or with the potty topic itself, but it really did hold his attention.

I'm going to go back to the library today and get the other potty book they had. It had drawings, not pictures, but since he seems so interested I want to give him a variety of potty literature to study!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
That Mr. Rogers book looks good. I may check it out from our library. I must confess that I actually did get a DVD for DD - the "Once Upon a Potty" one. It's pretty cute and has a little song and it's animated and then has real kids sitting on potties while wearing their diapers. I don't like it that they say the little girl has a "peepee" for going "weewee" but otherwise it's OK.

DD really likes it. She loves the kids. We were shopping at the store where I got it and her Baby Bjorn toilet ring last night and she started talking about the potty song and grabbed a potty chair from the shelf. She even sat on it for a minute at the store - which she won't do at home. I kind of think it's just the age of potty curiosity?

I am trying not to push her to use the potty yet since she only just turned 2 on Monday, but she's been very negative about ME using the potty so I thought some positive imagery might help. (My DH can use the potty, but if I have to go, she gets upset - even if she accompanies me.) I think it's the noise of the flush at our local Barnes and Noble that freaked her out and she's kind of got a bad association now. ("Potty loud.")

Right now, she likes to put her toilet ring on the seat and look down to see if there's anything to flush. She doesn't actually do the flushing yet, but she likes to check out the toilet. She'll go in there and say "No, nothing here!" It's pretty cute.

Best wishes for your toilet learning advertures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts