Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find a place for recommended reading on pregnancy & childbirth in the forums,or maybe I've missed it? Anyone read any great ones you'd like to recommend? The funniest one and also very helpful was
Bun In The Oven by Kaz Cooke and another good one was Birthing From Within by Pam England & Rob Horowitz. I just returned from the library, and checked out several more, including a new one from 2006 called Birth by Tina Casssidy which already looks to be very good, apparantly about the history of childbirth. Also got, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, Big Beautiful & Pregnant,Mind Over Labor & The Pregnancy Bible.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Just put a few of your recommendations on my library request list

This time around ( 2nd pregnancy ) I reread Spiritual Midwifery and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I just finished Giving birth : a journey into the world of mothers and midwives by Catherine Taylor and am trading off between

*The continuum concept: allowing human nature to work successfully by Jean Liedloff

*Labor day : shared experiences from the delivery room edited by Ann-Marie Giglio

and
*How my breasts saved the world: misadventures of a nursing mother by Lisa Wood Shapiro ( haven't read enough of this one to know if I would recommend it or not)

I also have these on my to read list ( found them mentioned here or other parenting message boards):

Attachment parenting : instinctive care for your baby and young child by Katie Allison Granju with Betsy Kennedy ; introduction by William Sears

Gentle birth choices : a guide to making informed decisions about birthing centers, birth attendants, water birth, home birth, hospital birth by Barbara Harper

After the baby's birth-- a woman's way to wellness : a complete guide for postpartum women by Robin Lim

So that's what they're for! : the definitive breastfeeding guide by Janet Tamaro

The imperfect mom : candid confessions of mothers living in the real world edited by Therese J. Borchard

Holding time : how to eliminate conflict, temper tantrums, and sibling rivalry and raise happy, loving, successful children by Martha G. Welch

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
As a first time mom, especially, I really liked Dr. Sears "The Birth Book," and "The Pregnancy Book." Of course after the first time, I never got into books very much! Not sure if it was the lack of time or the benefit of experience.
But those are ones I would give to friends, AP or not.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
i wish i had time to read all these books...

i too like the sears books (i'm a first timer), amongst others, ina may is great, henci goer too, and my friend's mom lent me a few bradley books. not that i'm a faithful bradley methoder (kind of hodge-podging), but it's good reading.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quote:
another good one was Birthing From Within by Pam England & Rob Horowitz.
: I LOVE that book! Helped me prepare for my little one's birth than any other mostly b/c it dealt with the internal rather than medical (not that it didn't touch on that as well)

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
For basic overview books, I've read "Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn" by Penny Simkin et al, and "The Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth" by Sheila Kitzinger. The Kitzinger book has an obvious bias against OB care and hospital birth, but it's still a great read if you can get past that.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I always recommend "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer. Really changed my life, I cannot thank enough the woman who suggested it during my first pregnancy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.