Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Connor saw his pulmonologist today, and it went really well!! He said that from a purely pulmonary standpoint, Connor is doing really well. The fact that he got through several bad illnesses this winter without serious pulmonary effects is a really good sign. He said that only a good pulmo listening hard could hear his laryngotracheobroncho malacia now, which is huge improvement from when he first started seeing this pulmo at 3 months old and his breathing could be heard from outside the room and down the hall!

We talked about his weight gain...he's gained about 900 grams from his lowest weight in early February when he was hospitalized with rotavirus, so although his growth chart is still pretty pitiful, it is good FOR HIM. We discussed going back to see a gastro that is new to the hospital (I fired his old gastros after having one too many arguments with them about breastfeeding) and the pulmo suggested that we get malabsorption tests run and if those are negative, then possibly look into metabolic stuff. THe thing is, until the last 6 months, his weight has always been proportionate to his height, he's just been well below the charts for both. But recently his height has been around the 3-5th %, so now his height/weight ratio is dropping. I'm definitely willing to give a new gastro a chance, and I figure that now he's 2, I'll have less arguments about breastfeeding...he eats a majority of his calories from solid foods anyway. I know that nutritionally he's good, we've done food logs with several nutritionists. So I'll call tomorrow and see when I can get him in.

He scheduled his next follow up for August, about 6 weeks before the baby is due, so hopefully he won't need to be seen again until winter, or if he gets sick.

However, he was kind of cranky at the appt, and fell asleep in the car on the way home. My husband said he had two interrupted naps earlier in the day, hence his tiredness. He snuggled with daddy for a while, then fell asleep again. He just woke up and has a dang fever!!!!!!! WTF???

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bobbi
Are you stalking me??! I've never seen you post in SN before!

The night was loooonnnnggg...his fever broke, but he was up a lot. And desperately thirsty each time. He nursed AND asked for water, and I mixed some gatorade into the water just to give him an electrolyte boost in case he needs it. He did throw up once at 5:30am, but his fever was starting to rise again, and temperatures always make him throw up. He also had some green snot crusted on his nose this morning. Other than that, he was just restless and incredibly thirsty.

Anyone have any thoughts on the thirst? He does this a lot...he drinks more fluids than any other kid I know, and sometimes he's darn right insistent that he MUST have a drink, and he chugs it down each time. Water, juice, almond milk, it doesn't matter what the drink is, he is just desperately thirsty. I mentioned it to the nutritionist in the cleft palate clinic once, and she brushed it off saying that most kids are dehydrated, so we should be happy he's not. Okay... But it just seems odd to me...

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
So glad to hear the appointment went well. What a wonderful thing!!!!!!
: I hope the new GI is helpful. I wouldn't think they'd be worrying too much about the weight loss since it was directly related to RSV.

I hate to hear about the fever! Ugh. Any better? Do y'all have to deal with pollen and stuff there (like, in allergy amounts)? We notice around season-change time that VeeGee will get cranky and sleep a lot. She never runs a fever (ever, even when sick - if she's got a fever it's BAD), but I wonder if their little lungs are adjusting to different air quality/content. Is that crazy sounding?

VeeGee does, every so often also get manic about thirst (and she typically doesn't drink anything at all since her formula is complete). Sometimes I think that it is also a function of her communication delay because she wants something and can't express it and so she defaults to thirsty since she knows we'll understand that one. Again, I could be crazy!

And then it'll go away again. It is strange, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, we are starting to deal with pollen/allergies up here. It's not bothering me yet, usually it hits in May. It didn't bother Connor last year, but who knows?

It makes me feel better to hear that VeeGee also has periods of extreme thirst... Connor is able to communicate the difference between thirst and hunger, and even what specific food he wants, so I don't think that's it.

I'm really bored at work today, I think I'll spend some time googling about thirst in toddlers. I'm not really worried about it, it's just...odd. And I've had several other people mention it to me, so I'm not imagining things either.

His fever has been hovering around 99.8-100.3, so definitely lower than yesterday. He's been sleeping a lot, and awfully clingy, but otherwise okay. Hopefully it was just a short bug and we're already over the worst of it.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
I'm really bored at work today, I think I'll spend some time googling about thirst in toddlers.
You totally crack me up! Need info? Ask 2boyzmama!!!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndVeeGeeMakes3 View Post
You totally crack me up! Need info? Ask 2boyzmama!!!

Seriously!!! Actually, my boss' boss (got that?!) just walked in and he said "didn't you guys get sent home?" to which I said "um...if so, I missed the word!" But I *am* the only one sitting here in this room of about 30 desks! I know there are some people downstairs...or at least there were a few hours ago! As far as I know, no one officially let us off this afternoon, so it's just me sitting here, manning the phones (not my usual job!) and goofing off online!

And I get paid a really decent salary to do this!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.