Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just worked out my new salary/contract details. Yes, I'm working more hours for less pay. But I'm only adding 5 more hours a week instead of 10 like they originally asked me for. I thought they were going to make it 7 instead of 5 and the difference in my life, those two hours, is actually quite significant. So I'm doing a little happy dance that it's not more than 5. I can handle 5. Whew.

The salary change...well, I'll manage and adjust to it I'll be ticked off if they make it retroactive to the paycheck I already received this month though. That would not be cool. Can they do that? The contract draft they emailed me is dated 3/1/16-3/1/17. I might have to ask them to change it to be valid as of the day I sign it, and not retroactive.

Also, as I posted above, XH agreed to the summer schedule I proposed without a puff of drama. Amazing.

What are your good things? Anything happen in your life today, this week, this month that has you happy or relieved?

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I managed 'adulting' today. I tracked down my PCP who changed offices and made an appointment. I need a couple names of new psychatrists and i need her support in dealing with some pretty sensitative issues. Making the appointment is the first step. I see her next thursday.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Mine are kind of silly, but hey, that's my life right now. I started weeding today, and got 1/4 of it done in about 90 minutes. Last week I made a lot of phone calls so I have eye exams for the kids lined up for Monday. I'm not in a funk right now. For me that is really good news! I'm cleaning the house, cooking, and being more active. I'm saving money, kind of thinking it would be great to have enough for a deposit on a 2 bedroom house in 2 1/2 years when middle son graduates and goes to college (he's thinking of college in Germany!!). Buying a house over the summer before ds#3 starts high school would be perfect which is actually just over 3 years from now. Yea, I'm betting I will still be single, as in not married or thinking of living with someone in 3 years, and I am ok with that.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I managed to finish the last bits on the dress & jacket that I need to deliver in the morning. I'm mostly caught up on dishes & laundry.

Oh, and I've got a grown-up movie date tonight

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Hilly, your good things are never kind of silly! They are your good things and bring you pleasure...and that's good :). Weeding would be one of mine. Yard is snow-free now. But I have to clean up all the neighbourhood cat crap first and it will be a good thing once that's done!

Good things...last night I got to go to sleep by myself, lamp on, in MY own room. A couple weeks ago kids got bunk beds and I got my big bed back. I feel like an adult now. So far dd2 hasn't woken me up yet tonight. If not, that will be 2 nights in a row. Cramps woke me up early. But at least my period came and now my Mirena is effective, and I am not pregnant at my age, lol.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Sounds pretty awesome AG :)

I did my income tax return and will get back enough to cover my car repair deductible and some other bills. There are lots of changes coming up in both of my workplaces but they all take me in the direction I want to go, even if there is going to be some stress involved. At least I am moving forward and six months from now my life will be on the path I want, not still looking to see where that path might start! I am almost finished a quilt top that makes me really happy.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Hilly, your good things aren't silly! Good things are supposed to be a combo of big and little. ;)

My good things: I got an actual raise this year! Not huge. But 7% instead of 2% is a big deal around here! It shows that at least they acknowledge that I really am way under market and would be expensive to replace.

DS' bedroom is almost ready to paint. Then I'd have two rooms done! That would be huge!

My friends have tapped a few of their maple trees for me to make syrup again! They still have half a gallon of syrup from last year, so aren't making any themselves. I just have a little bit left, so I am glad to make more. :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Time to celebrate some good things:

DD13 just got a huge scholarship to a 2-week ballet camp this summer. One friend *gave* us $500 as a sponsorship for DD (OMG), DD saved some money on her own, I put in a small amount, and the school is covering the rest. I did not think that would ever in a million years be possible. So that is really awesome.

AND -- possibly the best part -- her dad agreed to drive her there; I will pick her up. It's 4 hours from his house and 2.5 hours from mine. He responded immediately when I asked him, which is amazing to me. After years of conditioning, I always expect pushback from him, and then I'm relieved/surprised if it doesn't happen.

Also, DS17 just found out he got an additional $1000 scholarship for his freshman year of college. This brings the gap well into manageable range and takes a lot of pressure off. Plus it has boosted his confidence.

My neighbors invited a handful of friends over last night to drink wine on their patio around their fire pit. It was the most fun I have had in a long time. I've struggled with social anxiety and self-esteem issues for my whole life, but in that circle I was surrounded by people I've known for years. I finally get it that they think I'm great and that isn't going to change. (LOL, sad but true, it's hard mountain for me to conquer.) I felt safe, not on my guard as I usually do in social situations. It was so good for me. The hosts are doing this every Tuesday all summer long, because we *all* need it. And they live on my street, so I can relax knowing the kids can find me if they need me.

This weekend I have the house to myself (rare these days). For the whole weekend. It's Wednesday now and I want the weekend to hurry up and come already.

Spring is really here. We opened the windows yesterday.

I have things that are not good, but I'm going to let the good stuff totally obsure the not-good right now!

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
I just did the math for the kids' post-secondary expenses. My mother left them each an education savings plan. ds started last year in a pre-health program and it was going to take him three years to graduate as a paramedic. He got accepted into the top paramedic program in the province 2 weeks after classes started and transferred, so now his education will only take 2 years instead of 3. This means that he got two thirds of the money my mother left him last year and will get the balance this year - so dh's refusal to pay won't impact him financially after all. Emotionally yes, and that infuriates me, but at least his education is not in jeopardy. I think it is after 1000 clinical hours ds can do the advanced paramedic training and he will be able to pay for that himself. They are changing it from two spaced apart college diplomas to a four year university degree over the next few years and he landed the timing perfectly cost wise! He is probably going to wind up in med school eventually. Doesn't matter, for now he should have enough to get through next year with a little less debt than he incurred last year and the girls will be okay too. Their dad has checked out of parenting, which sucks, and he presents himself as the victim in the situation rather than being a grown up, but the bottom line is our kids will still get to go to college. University might be too expensive but we will see.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Those are all huge! :D Yay!

My good things:
* Having my tonsils out tomorrow. It will be a challenge, but then I won't be half-sick all the time like I've been since Christmas. And it's showing me caring people in my life that want to make sure DS and I will be ok. I'm really looking forward to being healthy again so I can finally catch up on life!!

* Winning Best Mom Ever from DS because I found him a dance school he can go to this fall that teaches the style he wants to learn, boys only class, affordable, and works with my schedule. It's kind of a unicorn! He is SO EXCITED! He really misses dance, but didn't like being the only boy.

* Working over my budget to be closer to independent from child support. Not quite there, but if I use the child support to pay down the debt, I'll be there! I *can* do this.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
My yearly work evaluation was excellent although hospital raises aren't the best, at least I earned the highest option.

The inside of my house is pretty clean amd clutter-free and I have a good start on the outside.

I may be able to pay off my credit card that I have been trying to pay off for 5 years!

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
grad school starts tomorrow, totally online, totally doable with SSDI, because its coded as 'part time', totally ok with my writing issues because duh, online, i dont have to write, anxiety will be under control because i will be at home, NOT in a room full of people. I think i just might be able to do this. Oh and full financial aid- loans but at this point, that counts in my book.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I can join in :)

My kids have never been to a camp of any sort at all. The day before the scholarship deadline I found out about a really nice day camp about a 30 min drive from where we live. I filled out all the paperwork and raced up there to turn it in. They all got a 90% scholarship to do a 2 week camp! They are so excited and amazed by the generosity of people who donate.

I have 2 classes that are 4 very intensive weeks. 2 of those weeks are the camp weeks. This makes my life SO SO much easier. And the kids will just have a blast getting to swim and do all these cool classes at a camp that costs more than my mortgage for a week!

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Yes that's great! Does the mortgage comment mean that the house/mortgage stuff got sorted out as well (sorry if I missed any earlier update on that)?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Wonderful news for all of you! camps are so crazy expense, I'm glad they get the experience and you get the extra time :)

My good thing is kind of a positive spin more than anything, but what the heck-i'll take what I can get! I got the notice that I was approved for medicaid today, which means I won't be drowning (more) in medical bills due to this pregnancy/birth-my current insurance only covered prenatal visits, not lab work, ultrasound, or the actual delivery! The only reason I qualify now is because ex stopped paying support, which dropped me below the income threshold...so, thanks?! Haha! Silver linings, like I said :) Oh, and I got approved for some more hours at work-another mixed blessing, because it means less sleep and time and more stress, but it also means more money which is desperately needed at this point. Yay!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Yes that's great! Does the mortgage comment mean that the house/mortgage stuff got sorted out as well (sorry if I missed any earlier update on that)?
Nope - i am still paying for and living in the house- it is still "mine" according to the original decree. We are at a stalemate. He won't bring up the house stuff since he owes a ton in back payments for medical and activity reimbursements. He hasn't contacted me for over a year and hasnt seen the kids for over 2 years now.

The mortgage is cheaper than rent on a 2 bedroom apartment in the bad part of town. I am hoping to just keep skating along ignoring each other until I can qualify for a re-fi myself. I have the credit but not long enough job history. I am not stirring his hornets nest until I have to.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts