Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newborn has a persistent goopy eye and since we declined on the antibiotic eye gel at birth, I am feeling a bit worried knowing that some eye infections can cause blindness.

Did anyone else decline that eye stuff at birth, and then have the goopy eye?
my other 2 babes had goopy eyes and we assumed they were blocked tear ducts...they both had the eye drops at birth though.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

· Registered
673 Posts
I don't know if dd had drops, but she definitely had antibiotic ointment at birth. She still gets goopy eyes. I think that it's a combination of blocked tear ducts & particulate in the air. She has also had minor infections. If you are really concerned, call your doc, or an ask-a-nurse line & describe her eyes to them. When dd's eyes seemed like she might have conjuctivitis, I called & after answering a few questions, was given a prescription for antibiotics. I don't like to use them unless they are necessary. The redness/goop cleared up right a way. So, I guess my thoughts are: call your doc & set your mind at ease.

Best wishes & good luck!

· Registered
1,261 Posts
Sounds like your baby is experiencing what DS had the first 2 months ir so.. Id call him monster boy in the morning cause his poor eye would be so icky and stringy it looked scary lol anyway when i finally figured out how to correctly help it it went away praoctially the next day.... advice from LC was literally spray and fill the eye with breast milk...flood it.. then also every time you BF massage from the inside corner of the eye with your finger tip and then down follwing hte bridge of the nose and this should open the tear duct if thats what it is which is what it sounds lik..I figured somethign was up with DS when his eye was tearing after birth........

Michele

· Premium Member
17,040 Posts
My first baby had the eye drops and had constant goopy eye until 3 or 4 months.
My second didn't have them and had the same thing.

· Registered
42 Posts
I put breastmilk in each time daughters eye got goopey...worked great and didn't bother her a bit. I didn't do the antibiotic at birth...If I remember right while it protects against stuff like gonorhea (sp?) it can lead to yeast overgrowth and stuff. I think it is only STDs which can lead to blindness. Don't worry-goo is normal. Another mom told me she'd wipe an eye that was crusted shut with goo with olive oil. Soften it right up.

· Registered
24 Posts
I agree with using breast milk.

I live in NZ and they don't do the eye drop thing. DD did have a goopy eye. I put breast milk in it (squirted) and cleaned it with that and my finger when I fed her. My midwife did take a swab and get it tested just to make sure everything was ok and we didn't need more treatment.

It cleared up as she became healthier and stronger. Her eye would get goopy when she was a bit unwell for at least her first year. That's one of the ways I knew if she was getting a cold.

· Registered
1,222 Posts
DD had goopy eye for the first couple of months. It was worse in one eye than the other. I used breastmilk and gently massaged along her tear duct, and that worked really well. The goops just stopped all at once when she was about 2.5 months!

· Registered
5,828 Posts
The eye drops at birth are in case the mother could be passing something like gonorrhea to the baby at birth, which can cause blindness.

Sounds like blocked tear duct to me. Massage the side of her nose next to her eye and rinse the eye w/ breastmilk.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
we didn't do the eye drops at birth and my daughter had a goopy eye until she was 15 months old and we finally had minor surgery to correct a blocked tear duct. It was not infection-related. And yes we tried everything natural before doing the surgery, including squirting the breastmilk in it. I still recommend doing that. Hers never cleared or changed consistency, ever. Was never, "oh, it's getting better, now it's worse" nope 15 months of near constant gunk in her left eye. I was constantly wiping her eye out so she could see. My doctor said most will clear up on their own by 1, so they don't even start worrying about it until 9 months.

Kids just got up, will write more about our experience later, or you can PM me if you have specific questons.

· Registered
9,002 Posts
My kids got it from time to time the first few months and my youngest gets it whenever she is teething.

My son had it the worst and he had the eye gel at birth, it was just a blocked tear duct. My mom has them so bad she has had the surgery on them so maybe it's hereditary in our case. Many babies get them, just warm compresses, massage and a bit of breastmilk will heal it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.