Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Ever since my dd was about 2 weeks old, she has had goopy eyes.  Some days are better than others and I think it is going to get better...and then it comes back full force.  It starts out clear like tears then turns yellow and sticky and finally dries kind of a greenish color.  I am squirting breastmilk in her eyes as often as I can and on days when I do it at every feeding her eyes are  lot better, but still goopy.  I am thinking it's blocked tear ducts because her eyes aren't red or looking unusual, save for the goop.  Is there any magic cure??  Everything I read says to just let it run it's course. </p>

·
Registered
32 Posts
<p>My DD has this too, and I just put drops of breastmilk in her eyes every day, and let it run its course. It went back and forth for a couple months before totally clearing up. I also used a warm washcloth and very very gently massaged the tear duct a little to try to open it up a bit.</p>

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
<p>I too would just squirt some breastmilk into her eye (this happened to my dd) after every feeding and could massage from the inside corner of her eye with one finger with firm pressure down to the corner of her nose. This helps open the tear duct up...dd out grew it by around 3/4weeks and was fine.</p>

·
Registered
345 Posts
<p>DD had the same issue . . . . warm washcloth massage once a day cleared it up very quickly.</p>

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
<p>Sounds like blocked tear ducts to me. My youngest has this, it started with both eyes soon after birth, and now almost 8 months later, one has opened and one has not. IF it doesn't open by a year a small surgery has to be performed to open the duct. I feel like we might be headed that way at this point, but I'm hoping not. Our pediatrician said he has had 2 cases in his 20 years of practice that needed the surgery.</p>

·
Registered
48 Posts
<p>Same thing here.  DS has had the goopy eye going on since he was about a week old.  The dr said it was a blocked tear duct, and to just keep it clean and massage gently from the inside of his eye down and that it should clear up on its own by the time he is a year.  Some days it looks better than others, but DS doesn't seem bothered by it, so I too am going with the "let it run its course" thing.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts