Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went out today and got some yarn and needles to practice with (figure they'll make good dishcloths!). But I have a question. I got size 10 (US) needles but the only thing they had ( at walmart
: ) was yarn #8 (is this the gauge?). Will that be OK for my practice?
:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It will be okay. The suggested needle size is just that ... a suggestion.

What type of yarn did you get? You mentioned that you can use it to make washcloths. Is it cotton? Not to be discouraging, but cotton is a total PITA to work with, and is really difficult to learn on, as it has no elasticity. There's no "give" for a new knitter. I know this as I tried to learn on cotton the first time and became completely frustrated and pissed off and thought I'd never be a knitter. When I picked it up again with wool, things were completely different. Just wanted to warm you so you don't get bogged down with it, kwim?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's acrylic. But I will remember if I get ticked with it, I'll definitely go buy some wool and give that a try. I guess I'm excited yet nervous about starting knitting. I'm not a yarn craft gal, most of my craftiness is in scrapbooking, hemp jewelry and the occasional counted cross stitch. But I've always wanted to know how to knit.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I think the best advice someone gave me was skip the walmart needles and buy some good ones. I poo-poo'd that idea and went thru bamboo (too grabby for me, couldnt work the stitches up or down the needle), aluminum (eh, okay I suppose), and plastic (just didnt like the "feel"). So then I went to my LYS and said "Okay, I give, where are the Addis" lol. I was wuuuuunderful the difference it made for me. I bought Size 8 circulars and really really love them. You can get them on ebay from a UK seller for abt half price. They're not *that* expensive in the singular sense, I think I paid $12 for mine at the store, but when you figure in how many diff sizes you could need for different projects.....it adds up :LOL. But just to learn 1 pair is worth it imo.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll look into some different needles. I don't even think we have a yarn store here! There's a couple craft stores but that's it. Though now that I'm a bit knitting obsessed, I'm wanting to go to the "local" (I think it's 1 hr from here) woolen mill (oldest in Canada!) cause they have a shop. Like I need more places to spend money at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.