Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...598525,00.html

"Yes, milk. Raw, unpasteurized milk. To supply a small but growing market among health-conscious city and suburban dwellers for milk taken straight from the udder, Hebron was dealing the stuff on behalf of a farming cooperative he runs in southwestern Michigan. An undercover agricultural investigator had infiltrated the co-op as part of a sting operation that resulted in the seizure of $7,000 worth of fresh-food items, including 35 lbs. of raw butter, 29 qt. of cream and all those gallons of the suspicious white liquid. Although Hebron's home office was searched and his computer seized, no charges have been filed. "When they tested the milk, they couldn't find any problems with it," says Hebron. "It seems like they're just looking for some way to shut us down."

It's not like they're selling it to people who don't know it's raw
:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I heard about this from a friend of my from whom which I receive my raw milk. It seems that the mainstream milk industry lobbied hard for this "crackdown" with the local law enforcement. They felt his business was a threat to theirs. This is very worrisome.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On a side note, whenever we go to Egypt, all (or nearly all) of the milk is raw. You see the farmers bringing it to these little dairy stories in the back of trucks, or in donkey carts. Then when you buy it, the guy just ladles it out of a big vat. Most Egyptians take it home and boil it themselves... but not all do. The concept of skim or 1% milk doesn't really exist... unless one goes to Carrefour or another big supermarket.

I guess what I don't understand is why not have the farmers put a label on it... listing potential risks and how to boil the milk yourself. Then, liability is gone... and people can make their own choice.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by umsami View Post
On a side note, whenever we go to Egypt, all (or nearly all) of the milk is raw. You see the farmers bringing it to these little dairy stories in the back of trucks, or in donkey carts. Then when you buy it, the guy just ladles it out of a big vat. Most Egyptians take it home and boil it themselves... but not all do. The concept of skim or 1% milk doesn't really exist... unless one goes to Carrefour or another big supermarket.

I guess what I don't understand is why not have the farmers put a label on it... listing potential risks and how to boil the milk yourself. Then, liability is gone... and people can make their own choice.
Exactly. Just label it-and there you go. It's a very simple solution-and a good one-but the very simple and effective solutions never will be used the the government, unforunately.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
RAW MILK FAN HERE!!

I have drank raw milk, cow and goat, all of my life!

I am 53, and it has not made me sick one day of my life...as a matter of fact, I am probably healthier than most people.

I remember all of the recalls over the years of raw milk...the dairy drive-in would make us put a tape over the milk bottles that said "pet food"...gives a whole new meaning to eating pet food. Johnston's dairy and Alta Dena were the dairies when I grew up...later Alta Dena named their raw milk line "Steuve" after the very large family that ran the dairy.

I used to get raw goat milk for my favorite Aunt who had arthritis from an automobile accident. She swore it helped her. I found a woman locally who would sell it to me and my Aunt was so grateful.

When I was in Europe, I noticed that milk was allowed out in the open air markets, not refridgerated...I understand it is irradiated?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
just a slightly off topic observation...i remember when milk would last a week or maybe two, tops. now it lasts like a month and a half
i'm vegan so don't buy milk myself, but h does sometimes and it blows my mind that a container of organic milk that he bought in January is still good. anyone know why that is?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Quote:
i remember when milk would last a week or maybe two, tops. now it lasts like a month and a half
I have not noticed this at all. We use little milk and it seems to last a week when I buy it-tops. Regular ole supermarket milk.

That said, in Philly you can buy (labeled) raw goat milk right downtown at Reading terminal market...wonder if it'll eb banned now...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshollyk View Post
just a slightly off topic observation...i remember when milk would last a week or maybe two, tops. now it lasts like a month and a half
i'm vegan so don't buy milk myself, but h does sometimes and it blows my mind that a container of organic milk that he bought in January is still good. anyone know why that is?
Because it is probably ultra-pasturized. Regular pasturized milk still has the earlier expiration date. Ultra-pasturized dairy products are basically shelf-stable and won't sustain life. Kinda gross huh?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
okay, i just checked to make sure i'm not losing it, and i have a carton of milk that has been in the fridge at least a week, and the expiration date is 4/10. Stonyfield or whatever (like i said, i don't consume dairy). yes, it is ultra-pasteurized. thanks for the explanation

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by menudo View Post
That said, in Philly you can buy (labeled) raw goat milk right downtown at Reading terminal market...wonder if it'll eb banned now...
When I went to NYC, I went to Greenwich Village to go to a hfs and buy raw milk.

When I took it from the dairy case and went to the checkout counter, I was told I needed a medical prescription for raw milk. Is that true in the State of New York or in NYC???

Also, I had a neighbor who had lupus; he eventually needed kidney dialysis and hip replacement surgery for his particular disease. He was told to drink raw nonfat milk - the only milk he was allowed. I found this an interesting admonishment since on the labels of raw milk it now says anyone who is immunosupressed or immunocompromised should not drink raw milk, yet this man was told to even though he had lupus, a disease of the immune system.

He eventually received a transplanted kidney which is another challenge to his immune system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.