Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

do to low Milksupply, my Gyn prescribed me today Reglan (Metoclopramide) and im really curios about it if its really work.

I was reading about it, that it has some sideeffect and it concernd me a little bit.

How was your experience with this Drug and does it really help to increase the Breastmilk?

· Registered
247 Posts
Going to be completely honest here....

With my first son who is now 21/2 I was given Reglan and everything was going fine my supply jumped up and i was pumping 4 times the amount i could without it.. and then about a week in to it.. I couldnt sleep, I was really anixous, I started counting things like crazy < like the lines on the road while driving> I could not stop singing twinkle twinkle little star..and I could no sleep. It was terrible. I was so sick from it. I got hit with so many of the really terrible side effects i didnt even know what end was up. I called my husband and as soon as he answered I could not talk I just sobbed. he called our doctor who called me and said get in here I wanna make sure you are ok.

Please use this with caution! not everyone has this response to it, but I did and you could too!

what about Domperidone? that is what I am on now..and there are very few side effects. and the same as far as supply boost maybe even better!

good luck. please let me know if you take it and dont feel right. im always around to talk to!!

· Registered
247 Posts
It was scary, but not everyone goes through that. look around google... reglan while breastfeeding... theres lots of talk about it out there.... most of it iffy.

Good luck and you have to do what you have to do...Just be safe.
I'm in WI and I just had to get it from a compunding Pharmacy...My doctor gave it to me for "reflux" but the compounding pharmacy knew better and didnt care and was really supportive. good luck!

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Have you looked at all the threads in the BFing Challenges forum? I'd reccomend shatavari and/or goat's rue, but there are SOOOO many other things you can do. Are you pumping? You really should be pumping IME if you're taking a galactagogue to make sure the breasts are getting drained. IF they're not, the pills aren't go to help any. Also check out MOBI's website.

· Registered
2,185 Posts
I had a good friend who was on this - caused depression for her, so she had to stop and then her supply tanked as a result. I would only recommend as a last resort. Try everything on kellymom and on the stickies above first!!!

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will go and look at kellysmom. i just so restless today and i think it comes from the pillst. i cant sit in on position i have to move all the time. thats so weard.
thank you all for your opinions.

· Registered
50 Posts
Just a heads up - if you have any history of depression or anxiety you should not take reglan. It can cause severe side effects related to this - severe depression, suicidal thoughts, etc.

There are many other ways to increase milk supply.

I highly recommend Dr. Jack Newman's site. He has great handouts and videos (i like it better than kellymom even!)

www.drjacknewman.com

- anne, CLEC

· Registered
294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Douwy View Post
oh thats sounds really scary.
I asked my doc about dom but he told me thats not fda approved and he cannot prescribe it. Thats why i ended up with reglan.
My doctor wouldn't prescribe it either, and then I found out you can get Domperidone without a prescription from inhousepharmacy.com. Here's the Domperidone thread from Breastfeeding Challenges.

With my history of depression, I was way too scared to try Reglan.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Yes, you can get domperidone pretty easily. The reasons for it not being FDA-approved are absolutely ridiculous and inapplicable to use in breastfeeding mothers.

Anecdotally it seems to be a lot more effective, and have far fewer side effects.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.