Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we just moved to Canada and found that our Evenflo Triumph from the US is not legal to use here.
Since ds is almost 30 lbs, I decided that a combo carseat/booster would be the most cost effective option. (besides, I can't find any ff'ing/convertible seats that harness past 40 lbs here, except one Britax which goes to 48 and is much more expensive than the Graco CarGo).
The only booster/combo in Canada (that I can find anyways) that goes up to 48 lbs AND has wide sides (which seem to me to offer more protection) is the Graco CarGo. (My other option was the Evenflo Generation, which goes to 47 lbs, but has very narrow sides, which doesn't seem like it would offer any side protection, or a place for a sleeping child's head).
At any rate, I know that until he reaches the upper limit, he will be harnessed. BUT...

I'm a bit concerned about how safe the belt positioner is on the Graco CarGo. I've read some things about it being unsafe in many cars, and that it's possible for kids to pull slack in it, and then it isn't able to retract back, leaving slack and making it less safe.
I tried it in my car, and the belt positioner holds the seat belt VERY snugly. I tried to adjust it a tiny bit, and couldn't move it any at all. Is that right? Is it safe? So there is no worry about any slack being pulled through, but it obviously doesn't move freely. It seems that most guides to buying boosters say to make sure the seat belt moves freely through the guide. But how could that possibly happen with the Graco CarGo?

I like everything about it using it as a ff'ing harnessed seat (the seat seems so cushioned and comfy!), but I don't want to have to buy a new seat now, then another booster later because this one isn't safe enough!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
The Cargo makes a pretty lousy booster, unfortunately. You're right on that.

My belief is that the Evenflo generations provides better side impact protection because it wraps around the head and body much more than the Cargo. But some kids are not comfortable in it.

One thing you could consider is an Evenflo Chase ($99 at Toys R us) and then buying a Graco Turbobooster when your DS hits 47lbs. You can often find Turbos for $79, so it actually wouldn't cost more than, say, a Platinum Cargo. The Chase has about the same top slots as the Cargo and makes a slightly better booster.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
The Generations makes a much better booster than the Cargo.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Throkmorton View Post
My belief is that the Evenflo generations provides better side impact protection because it wraps around the head and body much more than the Cargo. But some kids are not comfortable in it.
Really? The reason I went with the CarGo was because it seemed that it had deeper sides than the Generations.
(wait, I might be thinking of the Traditions that had such narrow sides). I still think the CarGo sides seemed deeper than the Generations, but then they were in two different stores.
The Chase isn't really much of an option for me, because the sides really seem very narrow.

Are the top harness heights on the Generations comparable to the Platinum CarGo?

Sigh. Ds is kinda tall for his age too, so I need to take harness height into consideration, too. He has less than two inches until he reaches the top slot in the CarGo. Is that a concern? He's only 27mos. I think other carseats to consider are the Radian and the Marathon, but those are much more expensive than the CarGo, and they aren't bpb's either.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
The generation wraps around the head, the Traditions doesn't have as deep of sides.
Height is a consideration, but remember that at this point, kids do tend to grow more in the legs than the body. Also, the Generations has 16.5" top slots, the Cargo 17.0* and the Marathon 17 as well, so the height might not make a huge difference. The Radian is $199 at Canadian Tire and apparently has higher slots, 17.5" or 18".

My DS was very big for his age, and outgrew the Express (old version of the Chase) at almost 4 years old and 46lbs. He was all torso, and had been on the top slots since he was 16 months old.

*this is the new version. They redesigned the Cargo last year, and the older models only had 16" top slots. So if the Cargo was a year old, he will have more growing room in other seats

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
We have the CarGo, and I just by pass the guides altogether. We were able to keep ds in the 5 point harness until he was tall enough to use the belt without threading it. It goes right over his shoulder where it should. I suspect with dd, we'll need a different one, as she's not looking to be as tall as ds is.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Throkmorton View Post
The generation wraps around the head, the Traditions doesn't have as deep of sides.
Height is a consideration, but remember that at this point, kids do tend to grow more in the legs than the body. Also, the Generations has 16.5" top slots, the Cargo 17.0* and the Marathon 17 as well, so the height might not make a huge difference. The Radian is $199 at Canadian Tire and apparently has higher slots, 17.5" or 18".

My DS was very big for his age, and outgrew the Express (old version of the Chase) at almost 4 years old and 46lbs. He was all torso, and had been on the top slots since he was 16 months old.

*this is the new version. They redesigned the Cargo last year, and the older models only had 16" top slots. So if the Cargo was a year old, he will have more growing room in other seats
This would be a new one, I imagine. I just bought it a few days ago. I did measure it, and it seemed like it was 16 inches.
So the Generations really would have good head support, and it seems like the Generations might have a higher top slot than the CarGo that I have. and i might not need to worry about him getting too tall too young. That's good to know!
eta (oh wait, I just reread it and you were saying that the NEW ones are 17 inches. I might not have been pushing the seat down very much when i measured)

So I guess I'll perhaps take another look at the Generations, and see if it looks like he'll have more height to go in that one. It's a tiny bit cheaper. And I've heard decent things about them as boosters.
I am considering the Radian. It's a bit more expensive, but then I have to add on the cost of a booster seat on top of it when he's bigger!

LynnS6 it is good to know that you didn't have a problem with the belt positioners because you didn't need them. That could well be the case here, too. I guess I have to figure out how paranoid I am that he'll outgrow the height too young!

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Is the Apex 65 legal in canada? If so it is a harnessed booster till 65lbs and belt postioning till 100. I pd about 100 us for ours. Its rated 22 -100lbs. You do need a highback seat or head rest for the seat.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think the Apex is sold in Canada (which makes it illegal to use here).

I think I'm going to try out the Radian. It fits up to 65 lbs in the states, so I can imagine that ds could possibly outgrown the height before he reaches the 48 lb limit here in Canada.
Another thought I had, even though the limit is 48lbs, if I thought he was too young for a booster I could have him in it until a few lbs more, since it is obviously SAFE for kids up to 65 lbs.
If the harness height on the Radian is 17.5-18" and the harness height on the CarGo is 17", it does seem like there would be no chance he'd outgrow the CarGo either. But...
No harm in shopping around, right? (I can still return the CarGo- it's only been a few days)

Alright- thanks everyone!

eta: I just was looking at the Radian site, and they say the top harness slot is 18", just in case anyone else is wondering what it is exactly http://www.sunshinekidsjp.com/produc...=Radian&id=112 (click "view radian dimensions")

1 - 9 of 9 Posts