Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased the Graco comfortsport at target today. http://weeklyad.target.com/target/de...ef=sc_iw_l_0_4
That's the ad, incase you're wondering which carseat it is by looking...
It was a good deal, we think. We've only ever used graco bucket seats for our newborns but this time we had decided on a convertible seat from the start. My question is really just asking for opinions on this particular seat. We have 5 weeks to return it, if need be. Anyone have any issues with this one? Like it? Love it? hate it?

· Registered
10,060 Posts
I hear they fit newborns well because they have very low bottom harness slots (7" I think) but they do not have high harness slots so be prepared to buy another convertible seat when your little one outgrows this one probably well before the weight listed for the seat. I think I read somewhere that the highest harness slot was about 12-13" tall (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so if you have tall kids you won't get alot of use out of the seat.

But for $50 that's a really good price if you are going to forgo the bucket seat and just use this instead.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
If you can, I'd strongly suggest taking it back. It has only a 30 pound limit rear facing, and such short top harness position that it will be outgrown forward facing by the second birthday (when kids should be rear facing anyway).

Most kids will outgrow it rear facing before 18 months old. Since kids need to remain rear facing for as long as possible (2 years is a minimal goal, three and four are much better), it's simply not worth the money you paid for it.

For the exact same price, you could buy a Cosco Scenera. It's also a 40 lb seat, but it has a 35 lb limit rear facing, taller top harness position and a taller shell, so it will last you much, much longer.

If you can increase your budget for a seat at all, there are many great options out there below 150 that I will recommend before I ever suggest using a ComfortSport.

· Registered
1,615 Posts
It's fine for a newborn, but you will probably need another convertible seat, which makes it a poor bargain. If it's all you can afford right now, it's a good deal while you save up for a bigger seat, but if you're looking to get the most for your money you'd be better off spending a bit more for a seat that will last longer. A better seat will have a taller shell, and a RF weight limit of at least 35lbs. A Cosco Scenera is in the same price range, though it has very little padding. It will last longer, though not as long as some of the bigger and slightly more expensive seats.

Graco MyRide, The First Years True Fit, Sunshine Kids Radian (with the newborn padding), and Evenflo Triumph Advanced are all seats in the $100-180 range that will at least get you from newborn to a good forward-facing age. The TrueFit and the Radian give you a shot at getting to booster age before needing a new seat.

· Registered
2,354 Posts
For $50 it's a fine seat, but you WILL have to buy another one later. If you want to be done and over with car seat buying for a while, I'd take it back and get something else. If money is tight and you want to save up for a better one, it will work out great in the meantime.

· Registered
470 Posts
For the exact same price, you could buy a Cosco Scenera. It's also a 40 lb seat, but it has a 35 lb limit rear facing, taller top harness position and a taller shell, so it will last you much, much longer.
QUOTE]

My son used the seat forward facing but outgrew it by height at about 24 months and 30ish pounds. ( I wasn't converted to extended rear-facing at that point.) I feel some hostility toward that seat because I think their specifications essentially amount to false advertising. I believe it probably contirbutes to misuse. Many parents would just move straight to a booster after this seat although the vast majority of kids will be too small for boosters.

However, if I step back and think rationally about it, the seat was fine while my son fit in it. It was comfortable and relatively narrow. It's a fine seat as long as you have reasonable expectations that you will need another harnessed seat, probably another convertible.

I like the Scenera. It's my second seat. My 30lb daughter still rear-faces in the Scenera. She wouldn't be able to in the Comfort sport...The Scenera is not as comfy as some seats though.

· Registered
2,354 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
Unfortunately many parents continue to use the Comfortsport LONG after their child has outgrown it, because they believe it should fit any child under 40 lbs, and that's just not true.
Not only can they not fit under the top slots, but you can't even get the harness around them! My DS is 40 lbs exactly (clothed, so actually about 39 lbs) and I can't even buckle him in the harness when I pull it all the way out!

· Registered
5,946 Posts
It's a waste of money. It really won't last rearfacing much longer than an infant bucket, and forward facing, it has the shortest slots of any seat on the market. If you keep it, you'll need another convertible seat anyway...so why not just buy a good convertible seat now and save yourself the $50???
Here is a picture of my dd in a comfortsport (because sadly, back then, I didn't know anything about carseats either) She is EIGHT MONTHS OLD, and those straps you see about an inch above her shoulders are the TOP straps. And see how little shell she has over her head? She outgrew this seat when she was ONE year old.(20 months) Absolute complete waste of money. For a convertible seat.
http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...5_05230046.jpg
NOW..if you are using it as an infant bucket replacement, and you understand that it will ONLY LAST AS LONG as an infant bucket, more or less, then it is a great choice. I hate the buckets, and prefer to have a seat that stays in the car. And for $50, it is cheaper than most any infant bucket on the market.....again, just know that in about a year, you will need to buy another *real* convertible seat for your child.

· Registered
4,587 Posts
We have 2 Comfortsports and personally, they have worked fine for me. My 1.5 dd fits in it RF, and I *believe* my 3.5 year old still fits in it FF--the FF one is in my dh's car though which is rarely used, but it fit last time he rode in it. He is under 30 lbs, and my dd is under 20 lbs. I do have little peanuts though, and most if not all of dd's and ds' peers are taller/heavier than they are.

We could not use it as an infant seat. We attempted but we have little babies. Ds was 5 lbs 12 oz when we drove home from the hospital with him in it and it was a terrible, terrible fit. We rushed out and got an infant seat right away.

So I guess if you anticipate having little ones like I do you will probably be fine (though you may still need an infant seat) but based on the other reviews a lot of kids will outgrow it early.

· Registered
1,274 Posts
I have it for DS (he'll be three this month). We have the Mediteranian one (totally botched the spelling)
It's super comfy and he's short. The harness slots are still fine but don't have long to go. He rear faced in it till 2 1/2 I think.
We like it

ETA: DS also has 2 other seats that I totally can't remember the names of (one is eddie baur, one is evenflo- evenflo triumph advance- I reread the thread and someone else mentioned it) and I prefer the CS

· Registered
503 Posts
FWIW....DS outgrew the CS FF at 2.5 years. DD (13mos) is now RF in it at 19.5 lbs and she has a good 5 inches of shell left. I'm hoping she'll get to age 2 RF in it. We'll see. So we will get our monies worth out of it. But, if we had to do it over again we'd probably get a different seat.

· Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
NOW..if you are using it as an infant bucket replacement, and you understand that it will ONLY LAST AS LONG as an infant bucket, more or less, then it is a great choice. I hate the buckets, and prefer to have a seat that stays in the car. And for $50, it is cheaper than most any infant bucket on the market.....again, just know that in about a year, you will need to buy another *real* convertible seat for your child.
Yep. This.

I wanted a seat for my son to use as a back up. I have plenty of HWH seats. I wanted an infant type seat. The infant seats were well over a hundred dollars even for the cheapest one once you added tax in. I picked up a ComfortSport at Toys R Us for about 80 (I'm in Canada, seats are more expensive here lol). I installed it forward facing for my cousins son once in my grandparents van and I don't ever expect to use it forward facing again. I expect it to be an infant seat that harness longer than 20-22 pounds... like the SS1 or SR32 would, but cheaper

· Registered
194 Posts
We bought one and have used it.

My complaints so far (baby is almost 8 weeks) are:

1) It's very rigid and upright compared to our Snugride. When Annie falls asleep in it, her head lulls forward. Gravity wont let her head just go to the side. This is also a problem because she will fuss when we put her in this seat, she doesn't so much in the other.

2) The bumper-thingy (no idea what it is called) for her head only sits in the slots- this is nice for re-adjusting it, but it falls out REAL easy when moving the seat. Not a BIG problem, but annoying.

3) This thing is HUGE... I have this problem with both seats actually- I have to push whichever seat it is sitting behind all the way forward to it can sit properly. This makes it so the carseat HAS to be behind me, DH is just too tall. I don't like this when I'm not the one driving- I can't see her at all.

4) Straps- this isn't a problem yet, but I my child is almost 8 weeks and is already on the second-to-last shoulder strap setting. I don't expect it to last terribly long. She's likely to be a tall person anyway, and I consider this something I will just have to deal with.

As far as how long it will last, I haven't had this problem yet. So far, other than my complaints, it's a good seat. I have a different pattern, but its soft and cushy, and other than being too upright, seems comfortable.

· Registered
1,274 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post
FYI, GoodNamesGone, you can use a rolled up towel or a pool noodle to increase the recline. Many convertibles need this for very young babies.
I was going to say that :) Plus, the shoulder straps are supposed to be at or below the babies shoulders anyway, so that part probably isn't a biggie.
Must be one tall baby!

· Registered
194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandynee22 View Post
I was going to say that :) Plus, the shoulder straps are supposed to be at or below the babies shoulders anyway, so that part probably isn't a biggie.
Must be one tall baby!
When I had it on the lower setting, it was well below her shoulders. Her fther is 6'5"... I think she's going to take after him! My family is also tall... I'm the odd-ball-out here and the shortest person in my family.

· Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodNamesGone View Post
When I had it on the lower setting, it was well below her shoulders. Her fther is 6'5"... I think she's going to take after him! My family is also tall... I'm the odd-ball-out here and the shortest person in my family.

Just to clarify, when you moved it up the second slot (the one that you moved it to) is still below her shoulders yes?

She definitely sounds like an all torso baby (I have one of those, though he isn't tall too
). I just got to play with this seat with a 12 week old tall baby but she was still just over the first... but though she's tall I think she's more legs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.