Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for crock pot recipes that focus mostly on grains and vegetables, not so much on legumes or meat. I found a thread similar to this the other day when searching for goat's milk, but I lost it.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
We have this soup at least once a week. I use meat stock, but you could use veggie stock.

4 cups of stock
4 cups of water
1 cup of green split peas
1 cup of yellow split peas
1/2 cup whole hulled barley
2 chopped carrots
1 chopped zuchinni
dried onion/red pepper (I dehydrate my own in the oven just to make this soup)
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper (I add salt at the beginning so I get a seasoned flavor and not a salty flavor which is what I get when adding salt at the end)

Turn on high for 5+ hours. The longer it cooks the more smooth the peas get. It's so hearty and so good. I always mix up the vegetables and use what I have in the fridge. Anything from spinach to swiss chard, or potato...really anything.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I made a great French onion type soup in my crockpot the other day and it turned out so good. Chop 4 big onions and put them in the crockpot on high with ¼ cup olive oil for one hour. Add 2 quarts good quality veggie stock, two tablespoons of miso and salt to taste. Cook at least one hour. Top individual portions with stale bread and cheese. Yum!

We sometimes make crockpot oatmeal by putting in 2 cups steel cut oats, 6 cups apple juice (or mixture of water and juice), ¼ c. maple syrup or honey, a cup of dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, apricots), and a cup of chopped nuts or coconut. Cook on low 4-5 hours or high for half the time- but you have to watch it on high because the liquid sometimes absorbs too quickly.

Edited to add: don't forget a good dose of cinnamon!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'm subscribing too! We have a crock pot that we don't use often enough, and with winter coming I am feeling a real pull towards cozy soups & stews.

Love the crock-pot oatmeal recipe as well, but 4-5 hours to make breakfast?
I HAVE been thinking about hosting a weekend brunch for some friends & family, though, so maybe I will try it out soon . . .

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If I make it for breakfast I set it up the night before and plug it in when I get up. I wake up about 2 hours before anyone else in my house, so it usually all works out. We also eat the oatmeal for dinner sometimes. It is really good, especially in the winter. If we go up to the mountains and play in the snow all day, I usually feed everyone a nice hearty protein packed breakfast and when we return a nice bowl of warm oatmeal... it tastes so good.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by G&B'sMama
If we go up to the mountains and play in the snow all day, I usually feed everyone a nice hearty protein packed breakfast and when we return a nice bowl of warm oatmeal... it tastes so good.
Oh WOW. That sounds great! Can you be my mom?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Quote:

If we go up to the mountains and play in the snow all day, I usually feed everyone a nice hearty protein packed breakfast and when we return a nice bowl of warm oatmeal... it tastes so good.
What a great idea! We are already eagerly anticipating our first snowshoeing expedition of the winter (after an abysmal snow season last year), so I may have to host the group at our place afterwards for oatmeal and spiced cider!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Subbing to this too! We really need to utilize our slow cooker more! I am waiting on about 6 slow cooker (most vegetarian) cookbooks from the library, can't wait to get them. I wish we could do breakfast & dinner from the slow cooker almost every day, that would be great.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Birth Junky
What a great idea! We are already eagerly anticipating our first snowshoeing expedition of the winter (after an abysmal snow season last year), so I may have to host the group at our place afterwards for oatmeal and spiced cider!

We want to get up there to snowshoe too. We haven't been snowshoeing for the past two years. We are in WA too, so last year it was just not snowy enough, plus we were moving. We did make an effort to go once, but we ended up on just a really cold hike! The year before that I was in my early pregnancy with DS and I was too tired to move, let alone snowshoe. This year we are hoping to try DD (age 5) on snowshoes. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Good luck! I want snowshoes & Cross Country skis. Waiting for my youngest to be older for all that though (he's almost 2.5). We're in WA too. Hoping hoping that we get lots of snow this year!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Can you put your youngest in a back pack? That would add to the excersise factor for you or dh for sure!

RE slow cookers, I just decided I must get one. COuld put dinner together during dd's AM nap. Anyway, I was wondering about brown rice in the crockpot, or other grains that take time, like (for those of you not GF), wheat berries.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I highly highly recommend the cookbook, Fresh From the Vegatarian Slow Cooker, by (I think) Robin Robertson. It is fabulous. The recipes are really gourmet stuff, absolutely delicious. This is the single best addition I've ever made for my kitchen library---and that's saying a lot, because we are total foodies! This is not your average slow-cooked stuff. Nothing store-bought or processed here! No recipes like "pour one can of campbells soup over your chicken cutlets and let cook for six hours" type of thing! Everything I've ever made from it has been really scrumptious. My one complaint? It never lasts more than one meal because everyone wants seconds and thirds!!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Ooh, so happy to hear that, freestyler . . . I bought "Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker" earlier this year, but haven't used it yet.
You have inspired me, though, and now I am going to scour the book for a recipe to make this Saturday when we have friends over for dinner. We have some nice chanterelles in broth in the freezer right now from the IL's mushrooming expedition last year, so maybe I will try something with those incorporated . . .

G&B'sMama, HRC121799: WHERE in Washington?
Maybe we could meet up for a trip to the mountain this winter . . .

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Quote:

We sometimes make crockpot oatmeal by putting in 2 cups steel cut oats, 6 cups apple juice (or mixture of water and juice), ¼ c. maple syrup or honey, a cup of dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, apricots), and a cup of chopped nuts or coconut. Cook on low 4-5 hours or high for half the time- but you have to watch it on high because the liquid sometimes absorbs too quickly.

I am going to have to try that oatmeal.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Birth Junky
Ooh, so happy to hear that, freestyler . . . I bought "Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker" earlier this year, but haven't used it yet.
<----------------------hey! look! 1600!!!

I highly recommend this book as well! My favorite is the green bean and white bean casserole

I adjust it slightly and use:
splash of olive oil
1 shallot chopped ( calls for onion, I prefer shallot)
1 C mushroom of choice ( I usually use portabello) chopped
chopped garlic clove and hot sauce ( my variation)
1 1/2C slow cooked white beans ( I have used canned, just don't cook it as long!)
1 1/2 # fresh green beans

blend everything together except the green beans
toss the green beans in, cover with white bean 'sauce' and
4-6 hours on low

top with toasted pangrattata (pistachio, almonds and pumpernickel bread crumbs tossed with oregeno, basil and wheat germ). This is a high protein meal that smells and tastes wonderful.

:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:

I made a great French onion type soup in my crockpot the other day and it turned out so good. Chop 4 big onions and put them in the crockpot on high with ¼ cup olive oil for one hour. Add 2 quarts good quality veggie stock, two tablespoons of miso and salt to taste. Cook at least one hour. Top individual portions with stale bread and cheese. Yum!

Hi, I just wanted to say that I made this a couple of nights ago. I stayed up late and put the oatmeal in a crockpot and when we woke up it was ready and perfect. This is soooooooooooooooo good and so easy.

I just read about the cinnamon and I chuckled because there was so much of it that we had it this morning for breakfast too and I mentioned to dh that next time I would put some cinnamon and that it would really be nice.

Thanks so much for sharing

Nancy

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
WE visited THe Farm in Tennessee a couple of years ago. Our hostess put oatmeal in the crockpot before she went to bed and in the morning there was delicious hot steamy oatmeal. I've never tried it, but it was great when she made it.

Kathi

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.