Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here do grain-free or gluten free baking? Can anyone share some tried and true recipes that are NT-friendly?

I'm celiac so I'm gluten free, plus I'm casein and soy free, and I would like to try some recipes that are already 'right.' The two I've tried out of cookbooks didn't turn out, and I can't afford to keep experimenting, both in ingredients and time/energy expenditure. I'm still trying to recover from two gluten exposures in four days.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Subbing too.

I'm also ISO gluten-free recipes that don't have a lot of crapola in them (like milk, sugar & soy.) Well, I have some SCD legal recipes that are really good but they're all made w/almond flour & I'm worried about dds comsuming too much of that.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Alright, this is waht I made today

flaxseed muffins:

for 6 large muffins or 12 small ( I made 12 and they are pretty small

3 eggs
3 T butter or coconut oil
1 t baking powder
1 cup ground flax seeds
some sort of sweetner ( I used a little erythritol, stevia and rapadura)
flavoring if you want ( vanilla, almond, lemon)

Mix everything together and pour into muffin tin lined with paper cups ( or with will stick really really bad, ask me how I know)

350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

This tastes great ( both my girls just had one with some butter) is very low in carbs ( depending on sweetner of course) and they freeze well

Next:

Coconut bread:
6 eggs
1/2 c butter ( or cocnut oil)
1-2 T honey ( I used 1/2 T agave nectar)
1/2 t sea salt
3/4 cup coconut flour
1 t baking powder. Mix all the wet ingredients, then the dry then mix them together ( self the cocnut four, its clumpy) Stir and let sit for a few minutes to thicken up. Pour into a bread pan and in the over on 350 for 40 minutes. This is the first time I made it, it taste nice but I dont know how well it will keep or freeze

Check out www.paleofood.com for more grain free bread type things. The almond bread is great for breakfast

Tanya

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a gluten-free peanut butter cookie recipe that's super simple. 1/2 cup each peanut butter and sweetener, and 2 beaten eggs. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

How can it get any simpler than that?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have been doing gluten free and cooked dairy free for years now and have recipes that I use for things. Is there a specific thing for which you need a recipe? I also have made some of the NT recipes with substitute gfcf ingredients.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
We gave up over here and now we're just grain free
I really just dislike all of the gluten free flours and how the baked goods taste
: Oh well...I am having the best time going grain free. It's only been a week and my clothes are starting to loosen up on me and I feel great- more energy! And believe me, I eat like a hog
Although we are grain free now here, we are not sugar free. If you ever decided to go this route some things that I've been making are......

icecream from raw milk (makes delicious banana splits too!)

My own version of holiday pecans
(take crispy nuts and coat them with maple syrup then shake in a bag with
half cup rapidura and 1/4 tsp each of nutmeg and cinamon...bake lowest your oven goes for 2 hours)

Raw cookies- made my own recipe up with what I had
1 c dates (pitted and soaked 2 hours then chopped)
4 c soaked pecans (or other nut) chopped
(kneed chopped dates and pecans)
one apple chopped
a little cinamon
1 tsp vanilla
honey to taste and consistency
dehydrate for 12 hours

YUM!
I'm also going to be making an apple pie for Halloween dinner tonight. I'm making the crust out of crushed pecans and dates and then cooking the apples with butter and cinamon and putting them in!

I know this wasn't the answer to your question, but just in case you ever decided that even gluten free grains don't agree with you....just wanted to throw these recipes out there too. VERY yum.

ETA: These recipes with coconut flour sound interesting though...I've never tried that!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAF View Post
I have been doing gluten free and cooked dairy free for years now and have recipes that I use for things. Is there a specific thing for which you need a recipe? I also have made some of the NT recipes with substitute gfcf ingredients.
Basically, I'm needing recipes for anything and everything. I had some recipes that some folks had sent me, but my machine crashed and I lost everything.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Quote:
How can it get any simpler than that?
Oh! Finally, a cooking question I can answer
PB right out of the jar with a spoon.

Lets see. questions. Someone gave me a sourdough starter started on wheat flour...could I convert it over to gf, by feeding it gluten free flour like sorgum?

What about a really yummy sandwich bread?

Morning muffin?

I have a pasta maker... lazagne noodles?

What is the deal with grain soaking...say I buy sorgham flour...how do you soak flour before using...is this where having a grinder is essential, so soak the grain prior to grinding?

Why even do grains if its not freshly ground? Basically, I've just heard that if you buy packaged flour, even the expensive gf kinds, they have lost most nutrients after 24 hours of grinding...Does this include if the amish lady freshly grinds, then freezes, then sells me bread she made?

: ugh...ladies, I just ate 4-5 mini candybars...

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestbirths View Post
Lets see. questions. Someone gave me a sourdough starter started on wheat flour...could I convert it over to gf, by feeding it gluten free flour like sorgum?
Gluten is an essential component of sourdough, as the rise is caused by the gluten being stretched. So, no. Also, if you've gone GF due to allergy, or celiac, you'll never get the trace amounts of gluten out no matter how much you try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestbirths View Post
What is the deal with grain soaking...say I buy sorgham flour...how do you soak flour before using...is this where having a grinder is essential, so soak the grain prior to grinding?

Why even do grains if its not freshly ground? Basically, I've just heard that if you buy packaged flour, even the expensive gf kinds, they have lost most nutrients after 24 hours of grinding...Does this include if the amish lady freshly grinds, then freezes, then sells me bread she made?
You need to soak non-glutenous grains but not seeds (like quinoa). Follow the directions in NT like you would to soak any other grain. You don't have to have a grinder, you can do it with a blender for certain recipes. See the recipe on my website for 'blender batter pancakes' for help on that one.

If the flour is frozen after grinding, you're OK.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Gluten is an essential component of sourdough, as the rise is caused by the gluten being stretched. So, no. Also, if you've gone GF due to allergy, or celiac, you'll never get the trace amounts of gluten out no matter how much you try.

You need to soak non-glutenous grains but not seeds (like quinoa).

According to NT, you DO have to soak quinoa because it contains anti-nutrients. And you have to rinse it really well because of the saponins.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Raw cookbooks are good for this too. (I am gluten free) Raw apple pie is one of our favorites. You make a crust with grounf nuts and dates and pressinto pie plate. Slice up some peeled apples and flavor with cinnimon and a sweetner (agave,maple,honey). Put in the fridge and eat a little all day

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I Nt-ised the 20 egg chocolate cake recipe. I managed to scale it down to 11 eggs too. I can post it for you if chocolate is OK. & by chocolate, I mean the plain dark 72% cocoa stuff.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OceanMomma, I'd love to have that recipe.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts