Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please explain how I should do this. This aspect of NT above all the others is very new to me. I have used strictly whole grains for about a year, but I have never soaked grains only beans.
So yesterday I soaked some quinowa. I soaked in filtered water and used the same water to cook part of it for dinner (only took 10 minutes
there 's a great outcome right there, smaller footprint to cook dinner!) Should I have soaked in something else? Should I dump the water and start with fresh for cooking? How soon after can/should I cook them? Can some grains be consumed 'raw' after soaking?
Also I make all of our own bread, what should I soak the flour in? How long does the dough need to ferment (do I just need to follow the advice in the Sourdough thread?)
TIA

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
When I soak my grains, I usually add some kefir to the soaking water. I do cook them after soaking, as I think it helps to further break down the outer hull. Plus, I use some of my grains for waffles, etc., so they would obviously be cooked before consumption.

I can't help you with the soaking flour question, as I'm still sorting that one out! I am having success with my sourdough, though. I find that I can digest that MUCH better than even sprouted grain bread. My youngest child doesn't really tolerate grains very well, but has no problem with my homemade sourdough. That tells me that the process is working very well to improve digestiblity.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I usually soak my grains in enough water to cover plus about 1/2 inch to 1 inch higher. For each cup of grains, I add to the liquid 1 tbsp of one of the following: whey, vinegar, buttermilk, kefir, or lemon juice. Basically any lacto-fermented liquids or something with a high-acid content. I soak the grains a minimum of 8 hours. I think the magic number was something like 7 hours. I drain the grains and rinse once and cook.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.