Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the process of getting DS1 evaluated for sensory issues. The center where we are going does a "comprehensive" eval -- including speech and PT -- and then makes an evaluation and treatment recommendation. So, in talking to the ST about DS, she suggested that we should be "cautiously concerned" about DS's speech.

He was a bit of a later talker; lots of signs but not many words until 2. Started sentences after two and had some articulation issues. Around three he stopped referring to himself as "me" and started using "I". He still does not say he/she but rather uses him/her (same with third person plural). And he doesn't conjugate "to be". So, for example, he will say "Them be going to store." or "I so sleepy."

I was using the method of repeating it back to him correctly -- "Oh, THEY ARE going to the store" -- but he caught on and started getting pissed at me. "Let me talk how I like to talk!" So I dropped it (or did it more subtly) since I didn't want it to become a power struggle.

Anyway, today, the ST said that it was a bit of a red flag, but didn't say for what and we weren't able to really get into it in front of DS. I've been googling and haven't come up with anything, so I'm turning to you guys. Ideas?

(Oh and I should add that we live in Israel, so he is learning Hebrew as well. He was at home with me until age 3, so English was like 98 percent dominant and what we exclusively speak at home. But since last fall, he spends 4 hours 6x/week in preschool only in Hebrew. Not sure if that makes a difference or not to your thoughts and I wasn't able to explore this either with the ST.)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
It really doesn't seem too unusual to me. My son messed up pronouns at that age: he said "we're" instead of "our," and used "her" instead of "she," and he still says "we're 'chuther" or "their 'chuther" for "each other," and nothing was said at his neuropsych exam. I heard a lot of that at his preschool too. Please let us know if you get some answers. My ds is 6.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Hmmm....wow. I hope someone speech therapy sees this post.
If that is behind at 4 both my boys are really behind I think.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Here are my 2 cents worth on this.

I speak Spanish and English. I had full immersion pre-K and Kindergarten all in Spanish. I have lived in Spanish speaking countries for periods of time and when I got back to the US, I had this problem. In high school after my Spanish classes, I would ALWAYS have a problem in the next class because my brain would have to switch back to English. I still have this problem between speaking to someone in Spanish and then talking to my husband. He speaks only English and notices it too. He says my grammar is all backwards.

I have this problem that you are talking about with grammar.

I absolutely think it has to do with him thinking in Hebrew and having correct Hebrew grammar but with English words. This is an issue a lot of kids who are bilingual have. I still have it.

Sometimes the transitions between two languages are tough.

There is a specific speech impairment that bilingual children have. I would recommend a speech therapy consult for him but make sure you have a speech therapist who can help with both English AND Hebrew.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.