Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mw referred to me as a "Grand Multip" a couple times and for some reason I'm not thinking I like the title.
:

Anyway, this is my fifth baby and my other four labors were pretty quick, each one got faster. Last one was my first homebirth and was a surprise uc. This time I am planning on uc, in case my mw doesn't make it again.

Which leads me to my question, how many of you had longer labors with subsequent babies? Like am I doomed for a 1 hour or less labor? Or is there a possibility I could have a longer labor, after having such quick ones before?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
My fourth was about a week of icky prodromal labour and 3 hrs active. Every single child was different, and they are all so individual. #3 may have actually been the longest, his labour was really long and weird.

·
Registered
499 Posts
For me number 4 was the worse. It was 12 hours from beginning to end with 30 minutes of pushing. My others were less than 8 hours and less than 10 min. of pushing. I did have 2 babes that were sunny side up and it did slow my last labor down a bit. But did not seem to effect the other. I think all babies are different and will come at different times and paces.
I thought my last one would practicaly walk out! not the case.
I am hoping my last one (due in april, #5) will be quick though.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
My number three was longer than my number two. Number one was the longest of all but it was induced which doesn't count.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Well, when you hit pregnancy #10, then you are a great-grand multip.
I don't mind, not many of us around, ya know.

Incidentally, #7 was my hardest, least pleasant birth. Number 8 was my best, so far. Yes, absolutely yes, subsequent labors can be longer than those before. Number 3 was 3 hours, number 4 was 14 hours. They are all unique.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I actually LOVE the title Grand Multip
I've worked hard for it damnit

This is also #5 for me and I am also hoping for a longer labor this time. My last labor was 45 minutes and as you may know shorter does not mean better or easier

I am hoping for at least 6 hours this time. My second labor was longer than my first, almost twice as long but the last two got significantly shorter. We would not be at all surprised if we ended up with a UC though. I am sure we will talk more with our MW towards the end of this pregnancy.

Keri

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
No kidding Keri. My last labor was actually about 2 1/2 hours from the time I realized it was really "it" (yes, even after all these babies, you can still wonder if it is really labor!).
Fast labors didn't give me enough time to process the fact that I "was in labor". I didn't have that slow build up and gradually increasing intensity. Not enough time to enjoy it. It just sort of overtakes you and consumes you. Whew.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerikadi View Post
I actually LOVE the title Grand Multip
I've worked hard for it damnit

Hmmm, I'll have to change my mindset.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
No kidding Keri. My last labor was actually about 2 1/2 hours from the time I realized it was really "it" (yes, even after all these babies, you can still wonder if it is really labor!).
Fast labors didn't give me enough time to process the fact that I "was in labor". I didn't have that slow build up and gradually increasing intensity. Not enough time to enjoy it. It just sort of overtakes you and consumes you. Whew.
Omg, do I know it! Mine was three hours, but the cntx were always 15 minutes apart and not at all painful, most weren't even uncomfortable. I thought I had a few hours till things picked up and got closer together. Then BANG! all of a sudden, I hit transition and the baby was here! He was a surprise unassisted birth.

I was in shock for quite a few days after birth, and I was in quite a bit of pain for weeks/months after. My bones moved out of the way so fast, it felt like I was hit by a truck. I couldn't sit indian style for months without pain. I was also in shock that day, I kept telling people what to do with the kids - make their lunch, pack their backpacks, where's their jackets?, do they have snack?, they're going to be late! My midwife said it was because my mind was still doing what it would normally be doing at 7am, because I didn't have any time to process mentally that I was in labor. What I don't get is everyone else knew what was going on - why was I still in charge? LOL

As he was actually coming out, I said "I don't know what's happening." The birth wasn't painful, just overwhelmingly intense. But I think I forgot what was actually going on! The photographer said to me "You are having a baby. You have everything you need. The sun is shining and its a beautiful day. I'm here for you and Mike is here for you." And it was like a lightbulb went off...oh yeah! I'm having a baby! Then he shot out.

I felt like I was jipped my labor. Because I spent the last month before his birth contracting - at the grocery store, cleaning, watching the kids. I never got to actually focus on my labor. This time I plan on expecting to labor the same way, having someone (anyone!) on call so I can send the kids with them while I have contractions. I'm hoping that helps with the "what happened to labor?" kind of feelings. But I am *hoping* for a nice 6-8 hour labor, with some build up!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I've actually been wondering about this. Each labor has gotten shorter and honestly the last was was short enough I'm kind hoping this one is alittle longer. The contractions were wicked from the beginning and I also didn't get enough time to really process the fact that pg was going to be over and I was gonna have a new baby. He was just here so suddenly.

My first was 4 hours. My 2nd was 3.5 hours. My 3rd 1.5 hours.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
1: 5 hours
2: 36 hours
3: 2.5 hours
4. 5 hours
5: 4 hours
6: 18 hours

I don't think they necessarily get shorter. I know my didn't. My mother had 6 and all hers were exactly the same. 24 hours from start to finish.

I like the term grand multip
:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.