Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd has a stomach tube. It's a small "button" that the tube can attach to for feedings. She just had her button changed out. The old kind wore out and needed to be replaced in a barbaric procedure that is similar to an earring being pulled out without the back being taken off first. Her stoma (hole where the button goes) was bleeding and sore. She ran a fever for awhile.

Now it's starting to heal a little, but she's getting this awful granulation tissue around the button. It bubbles up and is starting to bleed. It's common in tube-fed kids. The stomach acid leaks out around the button and irritates it. In an attempt to heal the hole in her stomach, the tissue tries to grow over it but it can't because the button is in place. So it grows up instead. Here's a bad case of it (not Nitara). http://www.members.aol.com/crispyfunk/images/y2.jpg

I'm calling the doctor tomorrow and I have a feeling that Nitara will get the standard treatment which is using silver nitrate to burn the tissue off. It supposedly doesn't hurt, but it can hurt the skin around it. And the tissue will come back. It grows within hours. I need something more long-term.

I'm really, really frustrated with this because Nitara is hurting and not happy right now. I am looking for some more natural ways to dry out and shrink that tissue, and prevent this from coming back. I've tried aloe vera which seems to work sometimes but not very well. Balmex is the common treatment to help soothe the skin but we are beyond aloe vera and Balmex.

Any suggestions?

Darshani

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Darshani

For many years I worked in group homes with children who had G-Tubes. One of my little girls had a lot of issues with her stoma and it hurt me to see her going through it all the time. I can only imagine it being my own child.

It sounds like you're already well informed of the standard medical care for it. I am thinking a little about newborn bellybutton/cord areas. I know that you can take Golden Seal powder and rub it on there. It promotes healing and prevents infection. It sounds (and looks) like dd's is really raw and probably does need the silver nitrate. Maybe after though you can do the goldenseal for her to prevent it happening again?
Another good thing would be breastmilk but I can't recall if you're lactating right now. Maybe you could borrow some from a friend.

There was a certain cream we used to put on the one little girl who got the most stoma irritation but I don't recall what it was. It wasn't natural but if I can figure out what it was I can try to come up with the natural equivalent of it. It was a thick cream that protected her skin and formed a barrier. I'll post again if I think of anything else.

I'm sorry your dd is hurting and so are you.

*ETA: The thing that keeps coming into my mind that you could use as a barrier cream is pure Calendula (as pure as you can get). It is SO healing and it's nice and thick so it would protect her skin from the stomach acid. Also, I do believe it would be safe since it is safe for the diaper area (which is such a sensitive area and bordering on internal, kwim?) and it can be used on eczema that is sometimes raw and bleeding. So, I think this might be a good option for you. I wonder if there is an herbalist you can check with on the safety of this first. I think Mountain Mom is an herbalist. Maybe you can PM her? HTH

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I will look into the Calendula once we get a handle on this tissue. She has an appt. today at the surgeon's office where she got her button.

The other thing that is really, really bothering me is her reflux was so much better until this button change. She is now vomiting at every feeding, sometimes it's forceful enough to go out her nose and mouth, or to land 4 feet from her. It's so awful to see her in pain all the time.

I think her button is not a good fit or something. Let's see what they say about it, but I will be stopping by the health food store on the way home to get some calendula. It can't hurt in any case.

Darshani

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I took her in and it's not true granulation tissue. It's just very, very sore and swollen from the new button moving around too much in the stoma. So she was given another new button, one that's new on the market. It is already helping. It stays better.

Here's a photo of her poor sore tummy with the new button in place. Hope it heals soon!
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...6108IbNWLVu1bW

Darshani

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.