Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a thread that included graphic novels for kids. Is there really such a thing? Please reply with graphic novels that are good for kids. I truly never heard of such a thing, but my 10 year old wishes I heard of such a thing!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
lol, my 6 yo has discovered elfquest, which is wholly inappropriate for someone her age. So far it isn't overly violent, but there are "adult themes" if you know what I mean.

There's a lot of Manga that would probably be "for kids," I know the Miyazaki movies have manga versions (I've seen the Spirited Away one) Manga is fun because you read it from the back.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
In addition to Bone and the two Jay Hosler novels from the other post (The Sandwalk Adventures and Clan Apis), DD1 loves a three book series of manga style Greek and Roman Myths.

Vol 1
Vol 2
Vol 3

I haven't seen it yet, but Vogelein looks interesting.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Maybe I'm just being slow, but what exactly do you mean by "graphic?" Violent? Descriptive? Gorey? Disturbing? lol....

~Kelsie

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soygurl
Maybe I'm just being slow, but what exactly do you mean by "graphic?" Violent? Descriptive? Gorey? Disturbing? lol....
No, graphic novels are like comic books.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Graphic means illustrated so yeah, comic books except bound like books and a lot longer than your average comic book. I always think the same thing though

Bridget (7) and I both really like Bone
Someone said they get dark as they go on but so far we've read up to #3 and we both like it (that's all my library has so far). It might be scary for a sensitive kid though (big rat monsters).

Tin Tin is a big hit here. The biggest issue is that one of the characters is a drunk. Just the other day Bridget told me the Captain should stop drinking and smoking or he might get cancer.

She really likes Asterix. Sometimes you have to google to get the puns in Latin (unless you are studying Latin I guess
).

She likes the W.I.T.C.H. series too.

My library has a decent sized collection and there are lots she hasn't even looked at. There are even graphic versions of classic novels if you like.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey mamas. Thanks for the replies. Great ideas. I'll head to the library on Monday and see what I can find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts