Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning on getting a goat for a source of raw dairy. From what I have read goats are not really into grazing on pasture like cows are. If the goats don't eat the green grass like cow's do we still get the benefits associated with raw milk?

Plus, I live in a pine-forest type area and I would have to do some work to try and create one on our property. (Which I am willing to do if necessary)

Also, I am looking into the nigerian dwarf dairy goats which average 6% butterfat...does that sound good?

Thank you!,
Jennifer

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newcastlemama
We are planning on getting a goat for a source of raw dairy. From what I have read goats are not really into grazing on pasture like cows are. If the goats don't eat the green grass like cow's do we still get the benefits associated with raw milk?

Plus, I live in a pine-forest type area and I would have to do some work to try and create one on our property. (Which I am willing to do if necessary)

Also, I am looking into the nigerian dwarf dairy goats which average 6% butterfat...does that sound good?

Thank you!,
Jennifer
It's my understanding that if the animal eats her appropriate natural diet, you get the benefits of raw milk. I have heard that goats eat a lot of brush and stuff, and I would think that would still be good. Cows in the Swiss Alps where Price visited were pastured on the mountainsides, not corralled in a pasture, so they would have eaten whatever they wanted, and they were the standard for the good stuff Price found in raw milk. Some cattle do eat brush and stuff, not just grass.

Ann

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I had a goat share for a bit, and the owner of the goats said that she, and everyone else she talked to that raised goats, had to feed the goats some grain while milking them because otherwise they got really skinny and didn't produce well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts