Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just diagnosed with graves disease about a month ago. I suspect I have had it for years. Probably since I was pregnant with ds. Perhaps before. I have been bounced around a couple of doctors in the same practice, one of whom doesn't know what he's talking about. I finally had a clarifying visit today, and I am feeling okay with my medication (I am nursing), but I am having some immediate problems.
By far, my most pronounced symptom is my anxiety. It is completely out of control. I have been laughed out of emergency rooms, sobbed through plane flights, lain awake panicking about rare diseases. Just to give you an idea.
Dh was supposed to be coming with me to visit my family in Singapore. Something came up with work and he can't come anymore. I have a 14 mo. dd, and 4 yr. ds. Somehow I have to get us all through 17 hours in the air and 3 airports with graves disease that causes my heart to race, and clothing to be saturated in sweat as well as a debilitating anxiety problem that for the moment comes out in the form of an irrational fear of flying. I don't really know what I am asking except maybe for a little (or a lot) of encouragement. "The plane is not going to crash, you're not going to lose a kid in Tokyo airport" etc. Of course any advice or tale of a similar experience is welcome too. This is taking over my days, my thoughts. On the day of travel I don't want to scare the kids. Please talk to me!!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm sorry that I don't really have any good advice...just wanted to send you a big
your way. If you check the next page or do a search on this board, you'll see my posting called "fear of flying." A lot of the gals gave some good suggestions, like using Rescue Remedy (haven't tried it yet, but will this week) and breathing exercises that I'm already practicing. Also, putting the air on full blast to help, too. Another gal mentioned gum, headphones & a CD player. You could get a headphone joint jack, so that your kids could listen to the CD player at the same time. Someone even mentioned the Curious George CD (which I had forgotten we owned & hadn't listened to until her suggestion) and it has great folk-soundish music (which I love).

I took a similarly long trip with my dh when we went to Korea to pick up our adopted dd (flight was 12 hours going and 10 hrs coming back to Ptlnd, OR airport due to tail wind)...bringing ice cold bottled water & wearing something super loose helped. Your kids will probably HELP you with their company, since you'll be so busy in thought about their comfort and answering their questions, etc, that they'll more than likely keep you so preoccupied that the flight will feel like it goes so quickly. As for being concerned with losing one of the kids at the airport, I would invest in one of those child "leashes"--I never thought I would buy one/use one, but, when my ds who's very active was with me while my 2 dd were doing swimming lessons, it helped give me peace of mind that he would be safe, so I didn't give any thought to what others might
: my way...his safety was key.

Anyway, I hope some of these ideas help. When's your trip?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted to say thanks. You posted when Iwas already in flight, and of course we all made it in one piece. The kids did in fact keep me occupied most of the time, and when they slept, I found I was so exhausted that I had to sleep too. Now on to worrying about the flight home!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts