Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby works as a machinist in a pipe threading plant, and when it's time to wash, the grease smell does not come out with just one wash or two. It's somewhat lessened by 2 hot washes but that's alot of water and electricity.

I made/make the mistake of putting other clothes in with the work clothes, and they all come out stinky!

Any ideas on what might work to get the smell out of these clothes? I'm guessing I need some sort of degreaser? I've tried a combo of baking soda, laundry detergent and simple green in several combos, but nothing has worked. I think I've tried vinegar too but that doesnt' either.

·
Registered
673 Posts
2 words, SIMPLE GREEN

I normally dont use the stuff at all, I am a vinegar and baking soda girl but one time it came it the rescue.

I used to wash clothes at the laundrymat, and one day I washed a load of all pretty much brand new clothing in a diesel lined washer. Someone must have washed their oil soaked clothing in there. agh! I was so pi#$%ed!!! I spent like 20 bucks just rewashing, then I took my nasty smelling clothing home and soaked it in vinegar for 2 days. That didn't work! So I kept searching the internet and I found someone recommending simple green. So I went out, bought a container, and took my clothes back to the laundrymat. I used about 3/4 of the bottle and another scoop of laundry detergent. They came out without a trace of that nasty gas smell!!!!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I see you have tried simple green, well all i can say is use more. I used a whole lot, and there was no trace of smell. Maybe try the vinegar soak for 2 days, and then the simple green. best of luck!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I didn't use a whole lot of the SG but I will go buy a new bottle (2 cause I use it for my cloth diapers!) and try using alot. Thanks

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've had success treating oil spots in clothes with hand dish soap (dawn is the one I've found that works the best). I've never given it the sniff test though, but it is good for cutting grease/oil!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts