Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Fly Lady has been around a long time and is supposed to be great but, watch out - I know a lot of people that used that site but got so frustrated by the multitude of emails every day, they quit.
: ! SO many ADS!

· Registered
320 Posts
Granted I just started it a week ago, but so far I love it!!! So does DH...
. House is in better order than I ever had it, even pre-kids, and my brain seems less cluttered too!

I just delete the emails I don't want to read, but some of the "ads" (testimonials) have really great ideas from other people writing in. I usually spend 2 or 3 minutes a day going through all her emails and deleting.

Totally worth it IMHO.

· Registered
4,427 Posts
I don't follow flylady, but I find some of her ideas/psychology very helpful. Yes, she is flogging stuff -- it's an advertising funded service, just like MDC is
. I don't get the email reminders, but I like her book and I really like listening to her podcasts (archived programs are in the right hand sidebar). They get quite syrupy and tacky at times, IMO
but she really seems to "get" why people get overwhelmed with their homes and she also seems to have helpful systems. Most of all, her message is aimed at people like me who put off decluttering forever because I want to do it properly -- she recommends 15 minutes a day.

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
I don't follow flylady, but I find some of her ideas/psychology very helpful. Yes, she is flogging stuff -- it's an advertising funded service, just like MDC is
. I don't get the email reminders, but I like her book and I really like listening to her podcasts (archived programs are in the right hand sidebar). They get quite syrupy and tacky at times, IMO
but she really seems to "get" why people get overwhelmed with their homes and she also seems to have helpful systems. Most of all, her message is aimed at people like me who put off decluttering forever because I want to do it properly -- she recommends 15 minutes a day.
I agree. I've subscribed to flylady about three times, always start out great and then flop because I'm a perfectionist and she is exactly right about how people feel if they can't do it all the right way, they won't do it at all. That's me. A lot of her ideas have stuck with me though.

· Registered
320 Posts
: When I first went to her website (recommended by my stepmom) I thought it was kind of dumb. I've tried listening to her podcasts a couple of times but they were a bit cheesy for my taste too. I haven't watched the shiny sink video.

But I signed up anyway and am loving it! The emails, though sometimes syrupy are good motivators. I find it is still working for me, I am exactly the perfectionist/creative type she is talking too. Probably doesn't work for everyone though. I would definitely encourage everyone to try it out and see.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
Perfectionism = ME.

Just like with everything in life, take what you need, ignore the rest.

My kitchen sink is *usually* clean, and it does make me smile.
My bed is *usually* made, and my kids copy me and make theirs.
I LOVE the weekly zones and her calendar, and I try to do a zone-mission every couple weeks.
I just started "swish & swipe" with my toilet at home and at work. I do it about 2x a week (not daily!), but I can see a HUGE difference.

I don't wear shoes in the house.
I don't get dressed first thing in the morning.
I don't do routines.
I don't read every email, but I read the titles before I delete them - that really does help, intellectually. (I go "no-mail" whenever I'm overwhelmed and reset it when I need the motivation - I've been on her list for at least 6 years)

BUT, I think that reading her website has really improved my outlook on my home, and I think we have a more peaceful home as a result.

· Registered
693 Posts
I like Flylady- I know alot are annoyed w/ the amount of emails- but I found it very helpful when I started. I like her methods- and she's right about perfectionism.
I found her about 6 years ago too- and it the only reason my house stays clean. Granted I need to declutter stuff still- but that seems to be on-going anyway.
I just never knew how to keep a house clean- and she helped teach me.
And the sink video is a little cheesy- but I did like the look of all those nice empty clean sinks and it inspired me to have my own.
I do get dressed in the morning and put my shoes on-- which helps me to actually get to work and make breakfast- rather than lounging in bed b/c I'm not dressed and just give everyone cold cereal. So, in that sense, she's saved me alot of money. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.