Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi, all.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've been frustrated by a lack of granola-type schools on the South Shore. I love Waldorf-style and homeschool style (unstructured, active learning).  So, when I graduated from the Harvard Ed School I decided to start my own preschool-age program (ages 3-6).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Right now I'm working as part of <a href="http://www.mamasmove.com/kids/" target="_blank">Mamas Move</a> (Norwell MA, right off RT 3, exit 14), but the goal is to branch off on my own ASAP.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The class will be very creative, very alive.  The students will create their own materials from scratch (we're starting with play dough and we'll see where the kids want to go from there)  The curriculum is not set from the beginning because we do not tell the children what to do.  Instead we watch the children closely and ask all kinds of questions to figure out what direction they might like to go.  The kids LOVE this.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For snack, we're going to make smoothies (again, in a very creative, interactive way) The kids will decide which ingredients to use and how to mix them up and again we'll see where the kids want to go with it.  We follow their interests.  If someone has a great idea about a different snack type, we will try our best to make it happen.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Every class one student will get to take pictures with my nearly indestructible digital camera, and we'll use those pictures to keep a weekly (password protected) blog documenting our little journey.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My assistant and I are highly qualified.  My assistant has a degree in crafting (can you believe such a thing exists???  Wonderful!) and I have a master's in education from Harvard.  We're a great team and we're so excited to be running this class.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The class has every bit of my heart and soul in it.  It is going to be fun and beautiful and creative and wonderful.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here's a link to the <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kinder-Creations/167754729923825" target="_blank">FB page</a>.  The program runs Tuesday afternoons 2:00-4:00, starting Jan 4th. Please pass on to anyone you think might be interested! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here's more <a href="http://www.wix.com/tcc854/tcordner" target="_blank">about me</a> if you're interested.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Much heart.</p>
<p>--Tracy</p>

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
<p>My daughter participated in the first class yesterday and had a wonderful time.  We can't wait to go back and she was so proud of having her 'own' classroom like her older brother does (he's in 1st grade).  I was also proud that she was so eager to participate as it is not always easy for us at 'drop off' times... we've been easing up to doing this now that she's over 3.</p>
<p>Both my kids often like to watch and stay back a bit before participating and it was very nice to have someone allow her to do this and not make a big deal of it. Then be ready to include her when she was ready to jump in later. We sometimes have teachers that push too hard and even though they enjoyed watching and were perfectly happy, I then can't even get them to want try it out again.  She's already asking to go back!</p>
<p>She also loved the smooothies and the craft she made!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know there are more openings for the rest of the schedule.</p>
<p>Jessica</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts