Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I am currently setting up a Montessori ESL classroom here in Taiwan. I had a group of 3 year olds in the class yesterday. One child came in and said, "It's time to go out to play."

One of the boys replied, "Not now. We're working."

Nobody left until it was time they HAD to go.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Dang, I thought you were going to tell a story about one of the "Great Stories"....not that wasn't a great story, I'm just really pining for "Great Story" stories since DD2's lower el directress is not as enamored of them as I am..............

Last year, DD2 was being nagged and pressured(by me, "perfect mama") to get her shoes and coat on to go to school while she was working on something that I could not decipher on the floor..imagine my suprise (also I was chagrined) when she informend me that she could NOT hurry up and get ready to go to school "because I am trying to finish this map of the USA to show where we are and where grampa and grandma are and where uncle Brendan is visiting in Vietnam so I have it for sharing time," to whit, I answered, "Take your time baby." And her directress could have cared less that we were 25 minutes late because she already knew from discussion with DD2 from the afternoon previously what she was working on, and thought it more important that DD2 finish the work than get to school on time............

·
Registered
32 Posts
It can be almost alarming how deep they can get into concentration, when that moment comes.

I remember one morning it was fire drill day, and one little boy was sat in the window with the binomial cube absolutely focused on figuring out how to build it. He didn't hear the whistle or me calling his name, and I actually had to go over and get his attention (which felt like a grievous sin, but regulations are regulations). It's a terrible thought, but I could almost imagine the flames leaping up around him while he sat transfixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.