Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We may be in a job situation, and the market is not great here for my husband.

Our second choice is Nashville, because of proximity to family, and because we lived there in college and after. We just can't really afford the areas we like in Nashville (Belmont/Hillsboro, Sylvan Park). We've always lived in urban areas, as opposed to suburban. Now we're looking at the 'burbs. We want a GREAT public elementary school. And did I mention we're pretty hard-core liberals and would like to live around democrats? That seems to be a tall order once you get out of urban Nashville. Does it exist?

We lived in East Nashville and experienced crime, animal abuse, and crack on our block. Maybe things have changed... that was 9 years ago. The same crack house is still there, though - we drive by our old house when we visit. We left Memphis because of the crime. We don't want that again.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I don't know of a place that meets both of those criteria. The places where people I know live outside Nashville for better schools and crime rate are also much more conservative than Nashville/Davidson County. We live in Davidson County but near the edge. It is more conservative than inner parts of the city. I've found for us that going to a church with a mix of people (we have conservatives and liberals) has been helpful for our family. I think that the majority of our immediate neighbors are Republicans but our church has a mix and the politician families that I know of in our church are Dems so we feel like we have a supportive community in that regard. Actually, we have two clergy people, one is liberal and one is conservative. We all coexist peacefully enough. I guess I strayed a little from your question though.

As for schools, we're trying to get our kids into a public Montessori that's close by, but the one my oldest is currently in is just ok. For our price range though this was the best we could do and we should at least be able to get our middle child in the Montessori school and possibly the oldest next year.

As for East Nashville, the prices have gone up a lot and honestly I think folks are paying too much for the crime rate. Also, because they have done such a poor job in my opinion of integrating the different types of people who live there, there is going to continue to be resentment from the poorer people who are being invaded by yuppies. That's just my assessment. When we first moved here we wanted to buy in that area, but by the time we saved up the prices were too high and I'm glad that we didn't end up there. I just personally don't like the dynamic. Sometimes I'm jealous of all of the democrat yard signs though.

I'll share one example of the conservative nature of the "good" suburban schools. We teach the teen class at our church and have kids in both Davidson and Wilson county schools as well as private schools and home school. Also, my husband is a teacher in Davidson Co. schools. After Barack was elected, my husband said his students were so happy that it was all that was talked about all day and the principal had to go on the loud speaker and tell the kids to be nice to the few people who had voted for McCain. Meanwhile, one of the Wilson Co. students said that her school had to be put on lockdown after the election because black students were getting death threats.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am not sure what you ae looking for but I just moved to Nashville from Memphis. I never had any problems in Memphis, I lived in Midtown. So, when I moved to Nashville EAst Nashvile seemed petty close to home. I haven't had any problems here either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We moved here last year and live in Mount Juliet. About 20 mi east of Nashville. Low crime, low cost of living, lots of shopping, rural, friendly. But as far a liberal - we are still searching! LOL
We have made a few like minded friends but this is "the bible belt" which has been quite the culture shock coming from Miami/Ft Lauderdale - but at least most everybody is nice.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Wherever you move, let me know! We're moving to the Nashville area this summer and are looking for basically the same things you are -- and we're also very curious about East Nashville and what it's really like. (For comparison purposes: we currently live in West Philadelphia, with crime and all that, and I wouldn't trade it. But I want to actually check out E Nashville.)

But yeah, we're trying to find a balance. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
67 Posts
we currently live in Raleigh, NC...north carolina recently going blue in the election which is really all due to the triangle area where i live...there doesn't seem to be alot of activity on here from Nashville folk...

are there only a smattering of liberal, ap, natural foods eating homeschoolers there...

I lived in Nebraska for 10 years and although i did like some parts about living there, the main thing i couldn't handle was the conservatives EVERYWHERE!!

It's just nicer to have a group of friends that you really have things in common with...

thanks for your help ladies!
Lisa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.